What are pods and how do I know if I have them?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

simian

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I want to get a mandarin fish but I keep reading every where they need lots of pods but I don't know what they are and how to tell if my tank has them. My tank is about 1.5 yrs old now and has about 68 pounds of live rock and a crushed shell/coral bottom. Please help I really want a Mandarin but don't want it to starve to death.

The easiest way to tell for me is when I do a water change and remove the pre-filter in my wet dry. If you see little living creatures in there like tiny bugs, you got some pods.

At night take a flash light it is much eaiser to see things. Look for little bug looking things in the water that are really small those are pods.

1.5. years may be almost enough time to get Mandarin.

HTH
Kohan BROS.

Thanks. Another question, is there any way I can introduce pods into my tanks?

Yes you can buy them off eBay I believe. Thats how I got mine I bought cheto which had pods already in it 2-1 deal! Also my pods crawl around the tank and in my fuge they are easy to spot.

I think you'll be alright with the mandarin. Didja check any prefilters yet? When I clean my prefilters off, I always net'm and return them to my tank or fuge. Introduced any coral already attached to small pcs of rock? I'll bet you've got'm (pods). I also did a HOB fuge for my tank to help the pods breed more too.

Back
Top Bottom