What are some low light corals?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lance M.

Aquarium Advice Addict
I was just wondering what reasonably low light, easy to care for corals there are. I have a 20 gallon tank with 65watts. I have some green mushroom coral right now about mid level in the tank and they are barely stretched at their stalks and are spreadout wide and seem to be doing fine (except one of the polyps is all shriveled up...). And I have a bta that is doing fine now (or seems to be). Thanks.

Leathers. Zoos. May be able to do frogspawn or hammer. Some medium light corals can be placed up off the bottom to get'm nearer to the light too.

I'd suggest a book I like - Eric Borneman' "Aquarium Corals" (green book) to do some research and plan your selections out.

Be careful with that water quality. Watch it. 20g and an anenome could be trouble if things get out of whack - which they can in smaller tanks.

Good luck!

I've been watching it and it is doing great- I'm just waiting for my clownfish to host it (if it ever does...). I have some flourscent mushrooms, and two different zoos. I'm getting more rock and coral this weekend + a decorator.

There are a ton of things you can get for that tank and light setup.

Sponges, gorgonians, sun corals, sea squirts, etc. HOWEVER all will require target feeding and that can be real bad for your water quality in a tank that small. Most of these guys don't have any light requirements at all, so, if you go this route, I would only get one of them and go easy on the feedings and see how things work out. I would go with a sponge first, as they (for me) were easier to care for than any of the others I mentioned.

Second, I would do what I did in my 100 gallon medium light tank - fill it with mushrooms. I have metalic green frilly, lime green, red, purple and blue mushrooms in there, and they really do look good. I had some zoos as well, but my juvi emperor angel decided he liked to snack on them, 'nuff said.

I had a small scroll coral frag (SPS) that did OK stuck up in the uppermost few inches of the tank, but it was not doing outstanding. I was not dieing, but it was not growing any. Kenya tree coral did very well in my tank as well until my angel sampled that one day as well. A mushroom leather was also fine under that level of light as well.

So, I would generally avoid the hard corals but there are a few that could work for you. Nearly all of the softies will be fine (depending on placement) under 3.5 wats per gallon.

Good Luck.

I got some Xenia, candycane coral, ruffle-ridge coral, and a kenya tree coral. Right now the decorator crab is sitting on top of the ruffleridge coral right in front of the powerhead. Very Cool.

Back
Top Bottom