Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-13-2005, 11:14 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to vTEC
what are some solutions for getting a lionfish to eat?

Alrighty... here goes:

I brough my lionfish home from work last night. He was partially eating there, and hasn't eating anything since i got home. Now I know I shouldn't expect him to eat because its a new environment.

I know there are a few ways to get him to eat eventually, and of course knowing my luck... I found out that he was started on LIVE FOODS, after I had purchased him.

The only way he'll eat a live minnow/shrip etc... is if its wriggling pathetically in front of his face for about 5 minutes then he'd eat it.

Apparently there's a feeding stick you can get for lionfish, and other predatory fish, and was wondering if maybe i should give that a shot and see how he'll react to that.

If there are any other options let me know.

And I have the option though, that if he doesnt eat, I can always bring him back to work. I love having that authority

Old 07-13-2005, 01:33 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah, I'd give him a few days. Mine was on live food when I got him and it took no time to convert it using the clear feeding stick. Here is what I have.

http://www.aquariumguys.com/feedingprong.html

Old 07-14-2005, 12:46 AM   #3

awesome!!! Thanks fluff!!!

I bought some feeder guppies today... just to at least get him interested in feeding.. then maybe switch him over to brine shrimp...

he possibly ate one guppy.. but we'll have to see
Old 07-14-2005, 03:35 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to LIMentality420 Send a message via Yahoo to LIMentality420
try a goldfish
0.1 Flying Gecko
LIMentality420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 09:24 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIMentality420
try a goldfish
Goldfish are a terrible food choice and not one I would recommend. If you "have" to feed live, ghost shrimp and guppies are a better choice. But, even then, only if you know they are healthy feeders.
Old 07-14-2005, 10:28 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Just get Frozen silversides place it on your stick and wiggle it in front of your lion, if it is a Volitan than usually when they get hungry enough they eat, If we are talking a dwarf that can be a little trickier to get it to eat. I would try to avoid live foods.

Kaye
Old 07-15-2005, 01:39 AM   #7

just my luck that my lionfish is a DWARF...

its no biggie getting him feeder guppies, or ghost shrimp.. i work at an Aquarium... so my feeders are free... and all my fish are 25% off... im going to try him on a variety of different stuff to see what he likes best...
i can get frozen saltwater food from the local grocery store, so im going to try some cut up shrimp, maybe some squid.. whatever they eat in the wild..

I did some research and they will eat squid, any kind of fish thats in bite sized pieces, and some other foods.

So i'll see how this goes....
Old 07-15-2005, 10:16 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have a dwarf and he's never been hard to feed. It will even eat flake food from the surface. Be patient. He may be stubborn but if he gets hungry enough, he should eat.
Old 07-15-2005, 04:27 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

"Be patient. He may be stubborn but if he gets hungry enough, he should eat."

I agree be patient your dwarf will come around, I have one that was easy to get on frozen & one that was hard to get one frozen. It will all depnd on the fish, but I would still try to get this dwarf on Frozen over Live.

Kaye
Old 07-18-2005, 05:28 PM   #10

Hey good news everyone!!!!

I bought some ghost shrimp.. and holy cow.. he's eaten all the ones ive put in the tank...

so i figure.. ill start putting some frozen brine shrimp in thetank as well later on tonight and see how he reacts to that...

thanks everyone for helping me...

- Lauren -
vTEC

Tags
eat, lionfish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com