Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-01-2012, 06:43 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

What are the best light for anemones

I have a 20 gal saltwater with a clownfish and a sergeant major damsel (I'm going to be getting rid if him when I go and get another clownfish) and 20 pounds of live rock. I really want to put in a rose tip anemone and a green bubble tip anemone but I don't know what types of lights to use. I heard leds r the way to go or just get like 4 t5s

Old 04-02-2012, 05:27 AM   #2

My wife has successfully kept a carpet anemone happy and maybe a little over lighted. For a month now on 2 [65w] pc lights on a 10g. On 12hrs daily.. I say over lighted Because he only eats once every week or two.. And doesn't fully exspand, guessing he doesnt need to.. His colors are vibrant..

I suggest the led's.. Simply because of bulb replacement costs.. I just diy a 40 (3w) duel dimmable led kit for my 54g corner bow for under $250 with moon lights. And dont exspect to spend a cent more on lights for at least 4years..

Aquastyleonline.com
Email ray, he will customize your order and work with you. Great guy, be patient tho he is busy,busy..

Old 04-02-2012, 08:05 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ok thanks do certain clowns home with this anemone
Old 04-02-2012, 04:35 PM   #4

Yeah but after much research there is still an unoffical report. My understanding is to get them all ready hosting, both clowns and anemone from lfs when there young. And that should be yoir best bet.. I've made this mistake twice now.. I always buy the fish first then the anemone and I have both false and true both failed to host in 6months.. But I think wild verses captive plays a hugh part on both anemone and clown...

If to do it again I would just pay the $100 + to get them at once with allready hosting.
Old 04-02-2012, 04:38 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Well at my other lfs there was a golden striped maroon clown there and it was hosting a rose tip and it was 80
Old 04-02-2012, 05:39 PM   #6

You want the clowns to be the same species* and hosting together already.. Trying to find the same species* later will prove to be harder than most think.

I look for at least 2-3 clowns all hosting anemone. And buy all 3 and see who becomes the female.. And trade in the odd man out.

jfyi. Baby clowns are all males and can sex change.

And tech. The anemone hosts the clowns. Not the other way around.. Clowns can just as easily become food for the anemone "if it wants"
Old 04-02-2012, 06:39 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ya I have to do it slowly as money is tight and I gotta wait about a month to get the proper lighting for an anemone and I really need to know what kind to get. And can u mix a clown fudge and a normal together cause they were in the same tank in the beginning.
Old 04-02-2012, 08:22 PM   #8

Idk much about mixing clowns but my guess is just like dogs i'm sure you can but without knowing exactly what your doing . Leave it to the experts to play god.
Old 04-02-2012, 09:04 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ya but they were in the same tank in the store and they seemed fine
Old 04-02-2012, 10:28 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Tank of the Month Award

I have a 8-9" RBTA that stays in one spot, directly under a 400W MH. I only run them about 4 hrs a day. The rest of the time I run the T5s. Hosting is a lg maroon. I have a wild black and wild tru perc that host my torch. I have a tank raise tru perc that is not interested in hosting anything. Here's a pic.

Tags
anemone, anemones, light

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com