Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-02-2011, 04:11 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

What are the best liquid additives?

Ok so i always assumed the additives were all the same since the element itself is what you are adding such as calcium is calcium so how could another brand be better.

I keep hearing that Salifert additives are the best and up and coming. There are only two stores that i have seen carrying the salifert line of additives, one being vivid aquariums in canoga park. If you're from so cal you know this is the best coral store and the employees say they use bright well for the store but prefer salifert. Has anyone used salifert products?

Old 02-05-2011, 01:17 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Nope sorry I don't add anything to my aquariums really. I believe my water changes keep my levels stable enough. I also don't think I've ever seen the Salifert additives anywhere.

Maybe someone else can chime in who uses additives

0o.Kelsey.o0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 09:36 AM   #3
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

The best additive you can add is PWC`s. That`s all I`ve added for almost 13 yrs now. All essential elements are in your Marine salt mix.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 10:01 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

you could add reactors such as carbon and gfo, as all as kalk

***Pics now on profile***
rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 06:44 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I use Kent Marine's Liquid Reactor once a week for calcium dosing. And Kent Marine's Coral Accel once a week. And Kent Marine's Coralvit once a week. This has been working for me for three years. I basically dose all at once on a Saturday morning, when the lights are off. They tell me that the PH raises with the calcium dose so the with the lights off the PH stabilizes. Because normally with the lights off the PH drops.
Old 02-05-2011, 06:59 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
it's a waste of money buying those kent products. if you actually need to supplement your calcium, alk, and mag, bulk reef supply is much cheaper. you can buy many times the amount there for pennies on the dollar.
Old 02-06-2011, 06:45 AM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion

I'll have to agree, bulkreefsupply has the best additives for me (alk, cal, mg, gfo, carbon, etc) because it saves me some money and seems to be high quality ingredients. Lets keep the thread on track.
Old 02-06-2011, 06:52 AM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by six2sevenproductions View Post
Ok so i always assumed the additives were all the same since the element itself is what you are adding such as calcium is calcium so how could another brand be better.

I keep hearing that Salifert additives are the best and up and coming. There are only two stores that i have seen carrying the salifert line of additives, one being vivid aquariums in canoga park. If you're from so cal you know this is the best coral store and the employees say they use bright well for the store but prefer salifert. Has anyone used salifert products?
To answer your question..."calcium is calcium so how could another brand be better."
1. I think some brands have higher quality control and more pure products, if that makes sense. Sometimes less is more, we don't want products with extra stuff we don't need building up in our systems, like metals etc.
2. Then there is the price thing which was already addressed.

I have only used Salifert for test kits so far. I think Vivid switched away from Brightwell saltmix.
Old 02-06-2011, 07:33 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thank you ryshark. As for some of the others, all i can say is wow.

This site has been so great and ive learned so much. I feel i have outgrown this site and have signed up for a couple other sites. Bigger sites where people discuss new things they have tried and generally helpful forums.

Thank you to all who have helped, i will continue to pop in but for now i need friendly forums. Im not refering to this thread so much, but i have seen many threads where there is only one answer and is not open for discussion such as when anyone asks about protein skimmers, you immediately see a reply or advertisement for octopus and everything else is junk.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com