Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-31-2012, 01:09 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
It will be fine if you prune it from time to time. No worries.
With Cheato tho theres no worries even if you prune caulerpa appropriately it can still go assexual imo not worth takin a chance especially with coral in the tank but thats just my opinion

Old 12-31-2012, 01:16 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
I've used various types of chaeto in my refugiums for over a decade and haven't had any trouble. I think it's like plane crashes- You only hear about the few that crashed, not the tens of thousands that landed safely.

Old 12-31-2012, 01:28 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
I've used various types of chaeto in my refugiums for over a decade and haven't had any trouble. I think it's like plane crashes- You only hear about the few that crashed, not the tens of thousands that landed safely.
I had caulerpa go assexual on me i think from lack of nutrients as i had an sps only tank that i rarely fed after it used the nutrient up it decided it wasn happy anymore turned white and released tons of spores into my tank very unsightly didn do terrible damage but just the headache of it all chaeto is about low maintanance as you can get this is why i always reccommend it just easier with less maintanace oh and also some caulerpa made its way into display at one point it roots deep almost impossible to get rid of as far as nutrient uptake i have no idea which one is better
Old 12-31-2012, 01:30 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Oops...yep...you got it...I meant Caulerpa. I don't know which one is better either. I just don't think it's something to panic about.
Old 12-31-2012, 01:31 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by danbstrong View Post

I had caulerpa go assexual on me i think from lack of nutrients as i had an sps only tank that i rarely fed after it used the nutrient up it decided it wasn happy anymore turned white and released tons of spores into my tank very unsightly didn do terrible damage but just the headache of it all chaeto is about low maintanance as you can get this is why i always reccommend it just easier with less maintanace oh and also some caulerpa made its way into display at one point it roots deep almost impossible to get rid of as far as nutrient uptake i have no idea which one is better
However i did not crash the tank it just clouded the water for few days and irritated the coral but tank recovered nicely
Old 12-31-2012, 01:35 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Oops...yep...you got it...I meant Caulerpa. I don't know which one is better either. I just don't think it's something to panic about.
Ya ive heard people say it can crash a tank but i personally dont know of anyone that its happened to

however lol i did almost crash my tank when i decided one day that " my sand needs stirred" after being untouched for 3 years OUCH saved maybe half my coral from that one lol
Old 12-31-2012, 01:50 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Send a message via Yahoo to George9
Thanks guys, i think ill just sell it or something and find some chaeto tomorrow. That was 10 bucks wasted lol

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com