what are these?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Are they in your sump? If so definitely keep them good part of a CUC.

Forgot to add, does the macroalgae in the picture look like chaeto?

Bristles for sure. The macro looks more like a caulerpa to me. I've never seen my Chaeto branch like that.

Bristles for sure. The macro looks more like a caulerpa to me. I've never seen my Chaeto branch like that.

Looks like caulerpa id run 24/7 lighting to prevent from goin assexual thats why i prefer chaeto doesn go assexual

Well that sucks, i didnt think it was cheato, but i dont want it going sexual on me. I think ill trade it for some cheato, thanks

It will be fine if you prune it from time to time. No worries.

With Cheato tho theres no worries even if you prune caulerpa appropriately it can still go assexual imo not worth takin a chance especially with coral in the tank but thats just my opinion

I've used various types of chaeto in my refugiums for over a decade and haven't had any trouble. I think it's like plane crashes- You only hear about the few that crashed, not the tens of thousands that landed safely.

I've used various types of chaeto in my refugiums for over a decade and haven't had any trouble. I think it's like plane crashes- You only hear about the few that crashed, not the tens of thousands that landed safely.

I had caulerpa go assexual on me i think from lack of nutrients as i had an sps only tank that i rarely fed after it used the nutrient up it decided it wasn happy anymore turned white and released tons of spores into my tank very unsightly didn do terrible damage but just the headache of it all chaeto is about low maintanance as you can get this is why i always reccommend it just easier with less maintanace oh and also some caulerpa made its way into display at one point it roots deep almost impossible to get rid of as far as nutrient uptake i have no idea which one is better

Oops...yep...you got it...I meant Caulerpa. I don't know which one is better either. I just don't think it's something to panic about.

I had caulerpa go assexual on me i think from lack of nutrients as i had an sps only tank that i rarely fed after it used the nutrient up it decided it wasn happy anymore turned white and released tons of spores into my tank very unsightly didn do terrible damage but just the headache of it all chaeto is about low maintanance as you can get this is why i always reccommend it just easier with less maintanace oh and also some caulerpa made its way into display at one point it roots deep almost impossible to get rid of as far as nutrient uptake i have no idea which one is better

However i did not crash the tank it just clouded the water for few days and irritated the coral but tank recovered nicely

Oops...yep...you got it...I meant Caulerpa. I don't know which one is better either. I just don't think it's something to panic about.

Ya ive heard people say it can crash a tank but i personally dont know of anyone that its happened to

however lol i did almost crash my tank when i decided one day that " my sand needs stirred" after being untouched for 3 years OUCH saved maybe half my coral from that one lol

Thanks guys, i think ill just sell it or something and find some chaeto tomorrow. That was 10 bucks wasted lol

Back
Top Bottom