what are these and is it ok to keep????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lightemup619

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I had bought some live rock and about a day later notice some type of anenome on them are they ok to keep in my tank or if not how do i get rid of them

Attachments

• downsized_0226092331.jpg
    downsized_0226092331.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 106
Oh my goodness, lol, you have quite the crop of Aptaisia anemones. No, very bad to keep. Go to your LFS, and buy some Joe's Juice. It's a material that comes with a plastic syringe. You just squirt it on the anemones, and it will kill them pretty fast. I always have some on hand, because these things hitchhike in on all kinds of stuff...LR, corals, etc. There are many remedies for aptasia, but this is really easy.

I would concur, looks like aptasia and they can spread very quickly and become a nusiance. I have used peppermint shrimp in the past to rid my tank of them, but a chemical solution may work as well.

Happy Reefing!

if they are mostly confined to that one rock I would recommend taking a loss and take that one rock out before they spread. That is a pretty big aptasia farm you got growing.
Kill the rock then recycle it and put it back in. Maybe chemicals will work but is worry that you would have atleast one or two that will run and find another spot.

Oh...Bad Bad Bad....Joe's juice is a solution as well as some pickling lime mixed with water and injected into beastie. They multiply like mad. Today you have a dozen....before you know it, you'll have a forest of them.

Just a reminder (as mentioned above) don't try to scrape etc or they really will spread.

Good Luck!

Back
Top Bottom