What are these little white things?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bhammer

Aquarium Advice Regular
FOWLR but soon to add coral. Are they beneificial? Should I keep them?

Attachments

• IMG_6445.jpg
    IMG_6445.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 82
Hard to tell by the angle, but I think they're just q-tip sponges. I'm guessing they don't move, and are kind soft when you touch them. Kind looks like this?...

scypha_tb.jpg

If so, then totally harmless filter feeder. They'll come and go as nutrients increase and decrease.

If they don't look like that, or they move... then maybe a better picture or a description might help us narrow it down.

I heard that if they r yellow, then they r the one thats bad?
is that right?
I have some yellow one before, but they disappear like in a couple weeks.

I think they're just q-tip sponges. I'm guessing they don't move, and are kind soft when you touch them. Kind looks like this?....

Thank You!!! Yup, that's what they look like. I am in the process of chaning out my in tank filter box for a sump. As I disassembled the filter box, I started to find them.

I heard that if they r yellow, then they r the one thats bad?
is that right?
I have some yellow one before, but they disappear like in a couple weeks.

Can't say I've ever heard about yellow q-tip sponges, but there are definitely yellowish ball type sponges. If they are bad, that's news to me. The ones in my tank don't seem to be buggin' anyone.

I think some types of sponges can really mess up a tank if they die and decompose in the tank. But that's probably true about a lot of things!

Back
Top Bottom