Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-02-2006, 08:14 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to jasno999 Send a message via MSN to jasno999
I have not done a water test recently. All I knwo is that I did abotu a 50% water change last night. It may be too late for the Xenia at this point but I want to make sure the mushrooms, polyups, leather and bubble coral are all ok. So the water change will hopefully help. I have to get back on top of my maintanance.

I really do like xenia - even though the one I had did not pulse much I still liked it. So I will probably try this or a similar coral again. But I am goign to wait for a while to make sure the tank parameters are back in line.

When I get a chance to run all the tests I will post the results.

Old 06-02-2006, 09:31 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Xenya is a picky coral. When it does well, it does VERY well. If it's not happy, it crashes quick. The change in the pics you posted show this well. I wouldn't give up on it yet though. If you did the water change, it may bounce back. Is it possible something is irritating it? Your bubble coral maybe?

Old 06-02-2006, 11:42 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Nope I don't see anyhting that could be irritating it. The damsel might mess with it or something but if he was I never saw it and both have been in the tank for over a month and there was never an issue. So I doubt the damsel.

The oter corals are not close to the xenia. And there is nothngi close that could pass a sweeper tentical over it.

So I am thinkign it has somehting to do with the fact that I had nto done a water change in a while and I dosed som iodine into the tank. DId nto measure Iodine levels but tried to get a little bit in as a supplement but I think too much actualyl entered the system.

So it is either an iodine overdose or more likley the fat that I was long overdue on a water change. IT is strange cause there was definitly something going on in the tank but it is hard to put a finger on it. The xenia is a mess as seen. The leather coral was also closed up and had polyups sucked in. I know the leather occasional does that but it was fien the night before and then all of a sudden at the same time the xenia got ugly the leatehr sucked in. Might be a chemical reaction to the xenia death. Who knows

But the bubble coral appeared fine as did the polyups (zoos) and the mushrooms.

I thought he large water change was the best thing to do. Now I need to test the water parameters to see where I am at. I doubt the zenia is goign to make a comback cause it looked bad. I will keep you updated.
Old 06-05-2006, 08:25 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Well after my 50% water change the zenia started to perk up again and come back from the dead. IT is nto out of the woods yet but it is definitly doign better.

SO there was definitly something wrong with my water. I will follow up in another week with a 20% water change and hopefully this guy will be back to full health.

I have still not done a water parameters test. I need to- but in the meantime doing water changes is the best thing anyway no matter what the current water parameters are at.
Old 06-05-2006, 03:05 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

You mentioned a lack of pulsing. I've read that stronger lighting (or closer to the lighting) will cause them to pulse more. Initially my Xenia never pulsed and I put some high up on the rocks and it started pulsing more. Over several months now, all of the Xenia pulse like crazy, even those lower down. I think it might be a "happiness" or acclimation issue. They seem to pulse more in the late afternoon to early evening (I run my lights from 9:30am - 9:30pm).

I dose with iodine and my Xenia grows at an obnoxious rate. Ironically, that's what I'd hoped for in the beginning. Be very careful about overdosing with iodine. I dose less than what the product label says.
Old 06-05-2006, 03:37 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Well I can take the half a glass top that I have on the tank off so that a little more light gets to the xenia. I put it there cause I had originally thought that the light was too much for my mushrooms. I have a 96Watt power quad on a 10 gallon tank.

I also think I need a new bulb cause the one I have is probably past its prime.

I will try opening up more light to the zenia.

However even thought it was not until last week that I saw an issue occur I have not had an abundance of growht in my tank. My bubble has grown some but he was the first coral. My polyups have multiplied but not by a large extent and the xenia has gotten a little bigger but nowhere close to the growth that you and most others talk about.

So I am not sure what I am doign wrong. Maybe it is all the lighting??? Who knows. I jsut think keeping up on my PWC will be the best thign for my tank

Tags
lump, xenia

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com