Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-30-2006, 08:32 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to jasno999 Send a message via MSN to jasno999
What are these white lumps on the stalk of my XENIA??

HEre are some pictures - they are not the best quality but you can see what I am talkign about.

http://community.webshots.com/album/219386694oThSEx/4

or

Old 05-30-2006, 10:32 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Looks like new growth. I wouldn't worry about it. It will also get those spots if it had been attached and let go.

Old 05-31-2006, 08:47 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

As Fluff said, looks like the marks they get when they attach to something and let go. Sometimes mine will "lie down" to spread and then end up letting go, leaving marks just like that. It will go away.
Old 05-31-2006, 01:06 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Ok I will try not to worry about it but this small colony has been in the same place since I put it in the tank a month or more ago. It is in an area where it does nto touch other objects or rocks. So I don't knwo what the shite spots would be from.

Unless this spots are where a new main branch is goign to form or maybe it is lookign for a rock to grab onto so it can split. As long as the coral is not in need of help then I will jsut watch and wait to see what happens.

To let you know recently my skimmer crapped out on me. Nto a big deal in terms of skimming cause it was a seaclone and did nto remove much from the water at all. However it did provide oxygen rich water to the tank and its output flow was right over the top of the xenia. SO now that the skimmer is gone the flow pattern has changed and it has been reduced by a large amount. I can add anotehr small pump but I don't want to put the xenia directly in the flow path. I jsut wonder if this lack of flow and lack of oxygenated water has somethign to do wit hthe growth on the xenia.
Old 06-01-2006, 08:21 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Is it possiable that my xenia might actually be severing the bottom of its own stalk/foot so that it can try to float to a new location??? I am concearned cause this whie lumppy mass is on both sides of the stalk and I am nto sure what to do.

I added a 2nd small PH to the tank last night but I hat to put it on the other side of the tank and it does little if nothing for the side with the xenia. The 1st PH sends flow right past the xenia and does get it movign a little. The 2nd is now providing some flow over the leather coral in the tanl and then it pushes soem water to the from of the tank nearthe bubble coral. The mushrooms get little to no flow but they seem to be ok with that. I would like more in their area but I find it difficult to get the 2nd power head in that area withought makign the xenia blow around liek crazy.
Old 06-01-2006, 09:24 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Jason, your xenya looks fine. Your gonna have to trust us on that. I've never known xenya to just let go and float but it will "walk" to different areas. Xenya can attach and detach in a matter of hours so it could be drooping at night and attaching/releasing then, I don't know but it doesn't look sick to me. Just the opposite.
Old 06-01-2006, 12:31 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yeah - Trust me I beleive you I do. Jsut somehting new to me. I jsut want to make sure the zenia survives and thrives.

So liek I said I will wait to see what happens. I am interested to see the outcome.

So you think otherwise it looks healthy?
Old 06-01-2006, 02:29 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasno999
So you think otherwise it looks healthy?
Yes. The pics you have posted, it looks like normal healthy xenya.
Old 06-01-2006, 07:29 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Well - My worst nightmare came true. I got home today and this is what the zenia looked like:

http://community.webshots.com/album/219386694oThSEx/4

Look at the bottom 3 photos on that page if my pics do not appear

So it looks like the xenia is dead or in the final stages of death. I am going to do a 20% water change as a last ditch effort but I think it is a done deal.

I have no idea what happend as the zenia looked fine last night besides the white growth I had been talkign about. It could be due to the fact that I was behind on my last water change or it could be due to the loss of the protien skimmer in terms of flow and aration - the skmmer really did not pull crap out of the water.

All I knwo is that after all this time it is strange for this guy to jsut die that wuick. I know that is what happens but I want to knwo the reason so I can fix it.
Old 06-01-2006, 11:00 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

You might want to test your parameters. Can you give us readings?

Also, what kind of light do you use?

Furthermore, you can add iodine as a suppliment (Kent sells them). If you don't test for them, use sparingly.

Finally, use Purple Up because they have a balance of magnesium, iodine, and calcium when added. And boy, do they do a good job in my tank. The xenia's been in my tank for 3 months. I've given four stalks of them for credit at a local lfs. And they did pretty well. I just tore them off the rock and rubberbanded them haphazzardly on a frag rock. they thrived.

Water and light is the key. Give some specs. Thanks.

Tags
lump, xenia

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com