What are your thoughts about DSB vs. CC

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ogden10

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 55gal sort-of reef tank that has a CC substrate. I am starting my 125 that is going to be a Aggressive tank and am deciding what base to do. I really like the look of DSB but have heard that it is difficult to clean as you can not vacuum it. I was considering switching my reef to sand and going with CC for the 125 but am open to ideas. I am somewhat worried about the process of switching out a tank that has fish and inverts plus about 80lbs of live rock.

TIA

my question would be how aggressive are ya talking ??! triggers/pufers/lions ect..
if so ya inverts are done for anyway !!
if ya are talkin those type of fish imo no prob going with just cc and a wet/dry with the lr to make things easier nitrate will be higher due the the messy eaters why i think wet/dry and good mechanical filtration is ideal !! but sand is cool looking to me id go with the sand :)

I would go with a 1-2" layer of fine aragonite sand, vacuuming will be necessary, but the detritus will not settle as easily as it will with cc.

Back
Top Bottom