Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 05-20-2005, 10:15 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist
Send a message via AIM to FlyingL0
What can I add?

Well I have been going through setting up my tank for the past week now. I have added crushed coral, 30lbs live sand, 20lbs dead rock and another 10lbs of live rock. My levels are still a little high but I was wondering if I could add anything yet? Snails? Hermits? I dont want to add by any means but I would like to add something if its safe.

FlyingL0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 10:24 AM   #2
As long as the levels of ammonia and nitrite are still detectable, the tank is not ready for new life. Be patient and wait it out. Once the NH3 and NO2 read undetectable, do a large water change (upto 50%) with well aged/aerated SW and your good to go.

Old 05-20-2005, 05:02 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Send a message via AIM to pearsont74 Send a message via Yahoo to pearsont74
a dead shrimp HEHE
I suggest getting all the base LR you want now to help with your cycling.
if you wait then you have to "cure" the LR before adding otherwise you will/coul cause another mini cycle, spike in your ammonia due to die off on the new LR
i wouldnt fully trust "cured LR" you get....
check my site out --> www.coppernreef.com
pearsont74 is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com