What can I feed Amphipods?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

grimlock3000

Aquarium Advice Addict
My new marine tank has been cycled for a while now. I have to move it to my new house in a week or so and have not done much with the tank. I had a population of Copepods explode out of nowhwere with all the waste in the tank from cycling the rocks. Now the Copepds are fading, and I have a bunch of Amphipods taking over. The Amphipods are pretty neat to watch, they seem about 100x smarter than Copepods. The Amphipods are getting pretty big, should I drop some flake food in there to help them out?

They will generally get along just fine without specific feeding...assuming that you are feeding other critters in the tank. The live on waste and whatever else happens to be on the bottom of the tank.

Having an abundance of them would be an indication of possible overfeeding and the tank would be having other problems.

I have never fed the tank anything except for some Phytoplex a couple times. I did not even do a full feeding of the Phytoplex, just about 1/3 the reccomend feeding to help out the small filter feeders in the tank. After my tank fully cycled and stabilized, the Amphipods started taking over. I crushed up a couple of Omega One Veggie Flakes yesterday and put them in the tank last night. They were eaten a couple hours after I put them in the tank, not sure what ate them...

Back
Top Bottom