What can I keep under this lighting?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

classklown90

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So lighting is the one thing I still dont have down in this hobby but I know many of you can help me out here. I currently have only a 50/50 96 watt bulb over my 34 gallon long (only 16 inches deep) im currently keeping mushrooms, softies and zoas with no problems. these nclude ricordea, torches, bubble and galaxea. I can get a great deal on a 78 watt two bulb T5 HO fixture by solarmax and it has 6 leds which is the main reason I want it. my question is what can I keep under 78 watts of T5 HO + 96 watts of PC, both have reflectors. Also will this light improve my current corals colors? and should I have the PC in frnt or the T5 in front? thanks a bunch

Go full led, I have the Ecoxotic panorama modules on my 90 gallon tall tank (24" deep). Love them. Everything I have under them is thriving including sps. www.Ecoxotic.com Once you go high quality led, you'll never believe how many benefits you were missing.

Under the lights you have, you could have more. Under the lights you want to get, you could keep a lot. Most any softy and you could try some sps as well.

I was wondering if I could keep birds nest and montipora maybe some acro? Tho I'm not to interested in that.

If you place the acros' up higher in the tank you might be able to keep one. :) The only way to find out is to try I guess.

Yeah I guess your right. I've had luck "pushing my limits" with corals as I've kept many things that require higher mid lighting in a biocube

I was keeping SPS with my cheapo odyssea t5''s. Just got to place them higher up and make sure they have enough flow. I have a birdsnest that started with like 3 or 4 tiny little arms and after like 5 months its now a huge branching coral.

Just don't waste a boatload of cash. I got my SPS frags for 15$ each and a huge acropora for $22. Are you gonna get the green ones? I love the color of mine under the lights, its awesome!

Oh I won't. My lfs has acro n monti frags for 10-20$. I think ill go with a red cap monti to see how that works. I've heard the red are less light demanding

also I always worry about putting corals on my sand bed or near the bottom because im afraid they wont get enough light. will i be okay doing this?

I would light acclimate whatever corals you get, start them near thebottom and move them to where you want them. Most likely the corals you buy are gonna be under higher light than you have so it might not make much of a difference. :)

yes I do that now thank you but I was wondering if they would survive down at the bottom if I kept them there

Youre basic stuff will be fine down there but the higher light corals might wanna be higher up. it also is based on where and how you want your tank to look. :)

I def wouldnt keep any SPS on the sandbed, not enough light or flow most likely.

My rule of thumb for coral the brighter the colors the more light needed same with clams :)

Back
Top Bottom