Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 02-11-2004, 08:39 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist
What can you tell me about Gobies?

Well, I just started my first SW tank and was wondering what to put in it. While browsing the LFS, I noticed some gobies (mandarin I think) and decided that I had to get one. Unfortunately, I don't know anything about gobies (feeding, size, attitude, etc.) but I read somewhere that they're realtively easy to keep in an aquarium (mine's 40 gallons by the way). So I was just hoping you guys could share some information with me about your gobies and whether or not this would be a good choice for my beginning tank. Possible tankmates would likely be damsels. Thanks for all your help thus far.

Mephistopheles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 09:02 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via AIM to WarOrks15 Send a message via MSN to WarOrks15
well if it is a mandarin and a new tank he might not have a enough food. they need pod to eat and you get them off live rock. the live rock brings a small amount in the tank and they have to grow and reproduce. but they are small fish and vary shy. but there are some like the watchman gobie that you could get and he could live in a new tank. i do not remember what he eats but i do know that he would be able to live in a new tank.

hopefully reefrunner or some one will respond to this they know more about fish then i do.

A 46 gal bow front (Soft coral) reef tank with a 10 gal sump. And a 30 gal (SPS and Clam) reef tank hooked up to the sump of the 46 so they share water.
WarOrks15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 09:07 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic
I don't think your tank will be able to support a Mandrin. I think they need at least something like 140 pounds of LR that will supply them with enought pods to survive on. They are very picky eaters and will rarely eat any prepared foods. I love these fish and am bummed that my tank won't support them
two11devan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2004, 03:08 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist
Thanks guys. So, besides the watchman, which other sorts of gobies are pretty and easy to keep in a 40g tank?
Mephistopheles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2004, 03:19 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist
Clown gobies come in several different colors and are delightful additions to a small tank. Red or purple firefish are also very pretty gobies.

"Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are a good person is a little like expecting the bull not to attack you because you are a vegetarian." - Dennis Wholey
kreach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2004, 03:30 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular
i have a mandarine, who first lived in my 55gal and has since been moved to my 150. i have also heard of others who have had mandarines in 30gal. i was also able to train my gobi to eat frozen foods. first i started by feeding with live brine shrimp. then i tricked him by mixing the live brine with frozen. then when he started going for the frozen i was able to cut out the live all together. i have had this gobi for about a year now. so it can be done!
good luck,
one fish, two fish, red fish, blue fish- Dr. Seuss
Mermaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2004, 09:55 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Send a message via AIM to potato5656
my goby just died due to lack of food...i think. poor guy. rip.
potato5656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2004, 09:39 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak
OK, read before you get the FISH!! Mandarins need larger tanks and over a 100 lbs of live rock! I'm sorry, but it drives me nuts when people buy something they are not prepared to have. He might be fine for a year if you buy lots of live rock. UPGRADE! You will need to.

On a lighter note, damsels are good. Get maybe 3-4 of them gives you a nice look. Watchman gobies are very cool, but they need a lot of hiding spaces. Please give up the Mandarin or get a ton of live rock, maybe he'll be fine for more than a year. Good luck and sorry for the tongue-lashing.
Sharks. The most amazing creature ever.
duaumun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2004, 02:27 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Send a message via ICQ to jackdp
I have an Orange Spotted Prawn goby, they are colorful and seem pretty easy to keep. Mine readily takes frozen food and also sifts the sand for critters. Check out http://www.liveaquaria.com They have lots of gobies in there marine fish section and give decent care instructions.

I would stay away from damsels, while colorful and hardy, they can get territorial and downright mean. Damsels may limit your fish selection in the future as they can beat other more docile fish to death.

Brad C.
jackdp is offline   Reply With Quote

gobi, gobies

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com