What can you tell me about Gobies?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mephistopheles

Aquarium Advice Activist
Well, I just started my first SW tank and was wondering what to put in it. While browsing the LFS, I noticed some gobies (mandarin I think) and decided that I had to get one. Unfortunately, I don't know anything about gobies (feeding, size, attitude, etc.) but I read somewhere that they're realtively easy to keep in an aquarium (mine's 40 gallons by the way). So I was just hoping you guys could share some information with me about your gobies and whether or not this would be a good choice for my beginning tank. Possible tankmates would likely be damsels. Thanks for all your help thus far.

well if it is a mandarin and a new tank he might not have a enough food. they need pod to eat and you get them off live rock. the live rock brings a small amount in the tank and they have to grow and reproduce. but they are small fish and vary shy. but there are some like the watchman gobie that you could get and he could live in a new tank. i do not remember what he eats but i do know that he would be able to live in a new tank.

hopefully reefrunner or some one will respond to this they know more about fish then i do.

I don't think your tank will be able to support a Mandrin. I think they need at least something like 140 pounds of LR that will supply them with enought pods to survive on. They are very picky eaters and will rarely eat any prepared foods. I love these fish and am bummed that my tank won't support them :?

Clown gobies come in several different colors and are delightful additions to a small tank. Red or purple firefish are also very pretty gobies.

i have a mandarine, who first lived in my 55gal and has since been moved to my 150. i have also heard of others who have had mandarines in 30gal. i was also able to train my gobi to eat frozen foods. first i started by feeding with live brine shrimp. then i tricked him by mixing the live brine with frozen. then when he started going for the frozen i was able to cut out the live all together. i have had this gobi for about a year now. so it can be done!
good luck,
mermaid

OK, read before you get the FISH!! Mandarins need larger tanks and over a 100 lbs of live rock! I'm sorry, but it drives me nuts when people buy something they are not prepared to have. He might be fine for a year if you buy lots of live rock. UPGRADE! You will need to.

On a lighter note, damsels are good. Get maybe 3-4 of them gives you a nice look. Watchman gobies are very cool, but they need a lot of hiding spaces. Please give up the Mandarin or get a ton of live rock, maybe he'll be fine for more than a year. Good luck and sorry for the tongue-lashing. :snipersmile: :onfire: :rocket:

I have an Orange Spotted Prawn goby, they are colorful and seem pretty easy to keep. Mine readily takes frozen food and also sifts the sand for critters. Check out http://www.liveaquaria.com They have lots of gobies in there marine fish section and give decent care instructions.

I would stay away from damsels, while colorful and hardy, they can get territorial and downright mean. Damsels may limit your fish selection in the future as they can beat other more docile fish to death.

Back
Top Bottom