Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-17-2014, 10:37 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank View Post
Have you tried moving him? Has there been any changes in the tank at all?
No changes in the lasts months, before it was on the reef, where the light is a little brighter and with a little more flow. I moved it down as suspected too much flow, nothing seems to help... I tried a iodine dip too, just in case there was unwanted critters in it, but seems to not change anything. This coral has not been acclimated when I bought it there's 3 months, as I didn't know the need for coral acclimatation. The torch on the picture has been acclimated for 1 hour with frequently adding shooters of tank water to the bag. Maybe the non-acclimatation killed my coral ?

I recently got rid of my biggest blue leg hermits, I suspected them too...

It's not so important for me if he dies, as I can replace him with more corals, as I have a lot of friends with reefs, but if I could know what happen to this coral it would be cool as I won't do the same mistake... But I don't know what I did wrong. Maybe acclimatation... But the coral was healty for the firsts 2-3 weeks.

For sure the month without WC probably didn't help. I have a friend who recently dealed with cyanobacterias, and he have a product to get rid of them. I suspect I have dinoflaggelates + cyanobacterias in my setup. The remaining brown slime doesn't make tentacules with bubbles on it, but seems to cover my rocks edges. What do you think about anti-cyano products ?

Old 04-17-2014, 12:39 PM   #12
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Cyano products make the ugly go away, but don't address what it is feeding off of. I still say the issue is that. I'd make my water changes larger and weekly to ensure parameters are good, rather than look good due to them being consumed by the cyano.

Sniperhank is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 02:58 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank View Post
Cyano products make the ugly go away, but don't address what it is feeding off of. I still say the issue is that. I'd make my water changes larger and weekly to ensure parameters are good, rather than look good due to them being consumed by the cyano.
Yes, everything is clean, nitrates <2ppm, po4 at 0.

I think it just need a little boost to get rid of it and won't come back... Are thoses products harmfull for corals/fishs/inverts ?
Old 04-17-2014, 03:02 PM   #14
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

They are totally reef safe. But when you use them you have to turn off your skimmer. I'd suggest a large water change before hand. Siphon things out and dose...following their instructions as well of course.
Old 04-17-2014, 04:44 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Large water change is already done, I'll do another after dosing this thing.

I won't dose vodka today if I use it, as you said I have to turn skimmer off. I guess I have to remove the GAC too ?
Old 04-17-2014, 05:01 PM   #16
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

I'd stop vodka dosing. I've read about this and cyano issues as well. Put the kiss effect into play.

Tags
hammer

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com