What causes PH to drop?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Flsprophet2

Aquarium Advice Regular
My ph has started to drop and was wondering what are some of the causes of the ph to drop.

These are my test results
ammonia .25
nitrites 0
nitrates 20
phosphorus 0
calcium 500

all advice is greatly appreciated

You guys and gals rock!!!!!!!!!!! :D

PH drops when the ammonia increases.

It will become more stable once the tank has enough bacteria to convert the ammonia (how old is the tank) and as the alkalinity is increased.

Do you use a Buffer?

my tank is 3 months old
and I just used proper ph 8.2 today
this is the first time my ph has ever dropped or even changed for that matter

Check your alk. I had problems with low pH and attributed it to poor oxygen exchange. I removed my glass top and that helped. Use a PH to give some turbulance at the surface to aid in gas exchange as well.

It is not bad for the tank but it would not be as effective as a ph to ripple the surface. Good water flow is needed in the tank anyway so it will be doing double duty to help. Most people in SW stay away from bubble walls but I have never been told any reason why.

Most people in SW stay away from bubble walls but I have never been told any reason why.
It does not really look natural, and causes major salt creep.

when did you test your ph? ph will change from when the lights go on until they have been on through out the day due to photosyntasis (sp?)

Back
Top Bottom