what chemicals are needed for reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rngrjt

Aquarium Advice Regular
ok, i have the 70 lbs of live rock, 25 lb back of live sand and a unknow amount of regular aquarium sand (black and white mixed) a skimmer, sump, heater, hob filter for added filtration and now i am curious what else i need to get this reef tank going. What chemicals, ect to start and maintain the proper balence of the reef. thanks in advance..

I wouldn't add anything you dont test for. Most of your trace elements and everything you need is replenished when you do water changes. IMO I wouldn't add anything until you know what kind of corals you want to keep. Just have a good salt and some RO/DI water, then just let the cycle do its thing.

ntswift is absolutely correct. Your water changes should give you all your necessary trace elements if done on a reg. basis. You may find however that your alkalinity and calcium levels aren't exactly where they should be. At that point you can try a calcium A and B additive. But don't worry about it yet.

As far as test kits for a reef tank. You're gonna need Nitrate, Alkalinity, Calcium, Phosphate right from the start. I imagine you already have nitrate though with ammonia and nitrite as well.

buying reef "suppliments" or addatives is a waste of money. As mentioned, regular PWC are more then enough to replenish any depleted trace elements. Tanks with a large coral load of LSP or SPS may benefit from the addition of CA but not much else. I maintain both of my reefs addative free.

Well, i agree with the above posts with a tiny point to make. Supplements adding also depends on how efficient ur filtration is. If it is "too" efficient that it diminishes ur trace elements too quick, u'll have to start adding suppliments if u don't want to do WC's weekly or even twice per week.

I run a CSS125 on a 29G and my Ca can drop from 440 to 350 in a week ugh

invest in test kits before any additives.. Calcium, alkalinity, phosphates, nitrates, amm, nitrites and good starter kits.

I agree with the PWC every week. Calcium will be later when you have a load of corals

Are water changes really necessary. I never do a water change in my FOWLR. Not sure if its needed. My levels are always good, and the water is always clear? wouldnt the amount of waterflow and live rock min this?

rngrjt said:
Are water changes really necessary. I never do a water change in my FOWLR. Not sure if its needed. My levels are always good, and the water is always clear? wouldnt the amount of waterflow and live rock min this?

IMO PWC are just as important as any maint. you do to your tank. PWC do many things. They remove DOC and excess nutrients. They also add diminished Trace elements that are removed through natural processes and mechanical also. PWC also buffer your water and help to replenish your calcium levels that are reduced because of corals. (not in your FOWLR tank I know). The list goes on and on. PWC are a must in any tank. If you are not doing them the bomb is ticking. By the way clear water is not a sign of great water. You can have crystal clear water and still have dangerous conditions. Keep up with those PWC

Are water changes really necessary
IMO, the single most important thing you do for your tank. It puts in the good stuff while taking out some of the bad.
wouldnt the amount of waterflow and live rock min this?
To some extent, yes. More flow will keep detritus from building up and the more biological filtration you have the better. I do 15-20% PWC every three weeks on my large reef and every one to two weeks on my nano.

rngrjt said:

Not sure how long your tanks have been running but my guess would ne not too long. And post some numbers, your good and mine are probably too different things.

Run you car for a year w/out changing the oil and see how long that lasts..

Back
Top Bottom