What Cna I Use to Absorb Nitrates?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So there u go good article just line up the test tubes cutting the water in half each solution till you get your reading then buy a bucket of salt and let the changing begin should take a week and u will have it recovered

On it. Waiting the 5 min....

Ok.

50% - 80 ppm x 2 -160 PPM
25% - 40 PPM x 4 = 160 PPM
12.5% - 20 PPM x 8 = 160 PPM

At least I know where I am!

This was an API test kit. Since Salifert only uses 1 ml, it's trickier...though I could if i wanted to since I have a 5ml syringe just for testing...but This works for me. I feel better now that I know

Like I said, stop wasting money and salt, and restart from scratch. Throw all the water away, gonna be much easier that way.

Keep them in a bucket with a PH and some of the water you are currently using, if they have not died yet they most likely will be ok. Get some new water in there, and acclimate them once temp and salinity is at proper levels. I would say about 12-24 hours.

His LR is already cured, there will no cycle. All he has to do is get his temp and salinity in place and he is good to start adding to it.

Keep them in a bucket with a PH and some of the water you are currently using, if they have not died yet they most likely will be ok. Get some new water in there, and acclimate them once temp and salinity is at proper levels. I would say about 12-24 hours.

That is a not a good solution on a number of fronts. A) The livestock are doing fine. I think they have lived with high nitrates and got used to it B) That's a lot of buckets (&water) for all my LR C) Making that much water is just a huge deal as I'd need to buy more tubs.

I"m already in for the salt. It's got to come down. That's just logic. I'm willing to keep changing water as long as I start to see the nitrates decline.

Today's test showed 80-90PPM according to API kit.

Success is near!

A few more changes and I should be below 10PPM

So, after MANY water changes the nitrates are around 30 PPM according to the API test. The Salifert reads between the 25 and 50 PPM which confirms the API reading.

I think I will do a couple more changes and I'll be ready to add some fish.

It's been a long battle, but I almost have it under control and my corals have been responding well, except for one colony of Zoos. I see reproduction in my green star polyps and my pulsing Xenia are looking healthier than ever.

Through this I came to the conclusion that the previous owner did not change the water and the nitrates reached more than 300PPM. The livestock got used to those parameters but during the move, when fresh SW was added, the fish couldn't handle the change but the corals and inverts fared just fine. Now, everyone will soon have an ideal environment. I just need to get rid of this hair and bubble algae and a huge bristleworm and I'll be content for a while.

Update:

Fish have been added (last Thursday) The nitrates where about 5 the day prior.

Today, I get 0 on API and about 2-5 on Salifert.

Bought a phosphate test and did the tap water. Back to RODI!

All should be smooth from here out.

RO water. I always had a unit, but needed to use tap to do the PWC's quickly. Now that I can relax a bit to weekly 20%'s, I can use my RO unit again in my 44 gal Rubbermaid Brute (highly recommended) doesn't bow like the tub I used before!

Back
Top Bottom