What coral(s) would you put there?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sooju

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a large flat rock that is mid-way up the tank and directly below the sump return - so I'm looking for something that needs moderate lighting and can handle high flow. Suggestions?

Attachments

• IMG_4125.jpg
    IMG_4125.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 94
I agree that a LPS coral like a frogspawn it would not be a good area if it is high flow area. The high flow might cause tissue damage which inturn would cause brown jelly disease on the coral.

Well if you had a little more light I would suggest an SPS. With PC lighting I don't think that would be a good idea.

You could try some Digitata or a lower light Acro. I can't tell how high up that rock is in your tank and how high off the water your lights are. You could try an Acro frag and see what happens. I kept acros and a few other SPS when I had PC lighting, they just didn't grow like they do now under MH.

I can't tell how high up that rock is in your tank and how high off the water your lights are.
The tank is 20" tall so the rock is roughly 10" from the lights. Which acros were happiest in your tank when you had PC lighting? How do I tell which ones need less light? And is digitata the same as what liveaquaria.com calls "digitate acropora"?

I have an acro that has been dubbed Ziggy's Acro because I have sold a lot of it over the last couple of years. This acro has grown well in all the lighting conditions my system has gone through. It is actually an ORA Scripps Acro if you want to look that up.

Do you have a link to the coral you are talking about on Liveaquaria?

That`s why I put the soft corals that I did as I really dont think you have the par or intensity that SPS corals need. JMO

Well it certainly wouldn't make sense to add a colorful digitata if it's going to lose its color. I'll stick with the soft corals. Melosu, how come the cabbage leather in your tank is so much prettier than the one on liveaquaria?

Hi
A colt coral would be good in those conditions
(Cladieela sp. Colt coral)

Thank you all for your advice. I picked up a nice green finger leather today and it looks great. Can't wait until the regular light shuts off at 9 pm so I can see it in the actinics...

Is it normal for a finger leather to look droopy when moved to a new tank? I swear it was taller when I first got it, and it has wrinkles, like elephant legs. It's green and smooth, no polyps.

And it has the most bizarre hitchhiker attached to its base. From searching the web the best I can guess is a spiny oyster, about the size of a nickel.

Back
Top Bottom