Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 08-09-2007, 03:28 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict
You may want to look into VHO set ups as well as T-5. VHO lamps are longer and may provide more coverage for less $, I'm not sure. As far as color goes, w/ 20k MH lamps you should already be on the blue side. You could go w/ actinic fluorescents for some more "pop" from your corals and some fish, but the tank may be too blue. You can also do a dawn/dusk simulation w/ actinics. Something in the 10k range would add some more white to your current lighting, and 50/50's more whitish blue. It depends on whether you like a yellow, crisp white, or bluish look to your tank. Personally I would probably look at something in the 10-12 k range w/ 20 k MH. HTH

MT79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 03:34 PM   #12
AA Team Emeritus
I am not sure of how your rockwork is situated or if you are willing to change, but you could construct a patch reef on one end where light penetration (both halides) would be at a maximum and have it descend/extend towards the other end with minimal light penetration so that it resembles deeper water (T5).

Innovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 11:05 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am planning on reaquascaping my tank anyways so I can plan accordingly. Thanks for you help guys, lots of good info.
anthony.grimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 06:11 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Nice suggestion Innovator.
chase33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 10:23 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict
For a 72in tank I suggest going with three MH lamps as well. If the brace in the middle of the tank is clear acrylic you should be okay. I would not worry too much about the heat issue. As, mentioned, your lamps should be placed high enough above the tank as to not heat things up too much. Running a small desk fan over the surface of the water will certainly help. As far as color goes, I am a fan of 10K or 14K MH bulbs with actinic suppliments (CF, VHO, etc.).
Some people are like slinkies...they serve no real purpose yet can still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs!:p
Have a great day! Brian
lando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 11:35 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict
I agree! You need 3 lights, but if you just do 2, you could place sps or clams right under the direct rays of the MH's and put the softies on the outsides.

Remember to Keep Christ First!
revhtree is offline   Reply With Quote

coral, corals

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com