What Corals Can Be Removed From Where They Attach?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jonboyb

Aquarium Advice Activist
I recently bought a combo rock with a leather, zoas, mushrooms, and an SPS on it. I broke the rock away the SPS was on to move it higher. I would love to relocate the leather and the guy I bought them from said I could carefully peel it off the rock. Is that correct?

Also, I would like to remove a couple of the mushrooms and move them, Will they peel off?

You should be able to peel them off the hard part is attaching it wherever else you want them. Super glue does good.

You can peel or cut straight through the stalk (both sides will regenerate with proper water conditions). You can use a ziptie or toothpick through the base of the stalk along with Figi's advice of super glue gel or crazy glue.

Just to clarify...cut which way through the stalk, and on all of them? Just curious.

I'm not sure it really matters lol. Most of the time people will frag leathers by cutting horizontally through the stalk and they can be cut any which way through the polypary or "bell" as I like to phrase :)

So you are talking specifically about the leather?
I know the shrooms can be cut as long as part of the oral disk is part of the frag....right?
Zoas, you have to peel, right? Heh, looking at getting my 125 reef going soon.

Yes, I am speaking of leather corals. Mushrooms can be cut, but because of the mucus they secrete when injured they often succumb to bacteria without direct water flow to keep their tissue clean. I'm not sure if zoa's can be cut, but be a worthwhile experiment; Most likely same general defensive pattern as mushrooms.

I'd probably recommend cutting the leather and relocating it, but leaving the mushrooms on the rock. As Innovator mentions, it's kinda iffy on the mushrooms. You won't be able to glue them once their cut and you'll have to use netting or something like that to keep them secured in place. They're really slimy little buggers. And if you can peel their foot off the rock... I'm impressed!

Don't cut the Zoas. That will be the end of them. If you want to remove some of them you can chip the rock away beneath them so they are still attached to something. If your zoas are "matting" meaning they spread from a single base that is attached. You can cut the linkage between polyps to seperate them from each other.

Mushrooms, they will end up all over your tank in time. You can employe the same method as with the zoas though. Chip the rock away below their foot.

Back
Top Bottom