Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-08-2005, 10:51 PM   #1
zacdl

What corals can I get?

I got a 72 watt light now (or will shortly this weekend)

for my 30 hex.

I am guessing its about 20 gallons from the sand to the top, and subtracting the rocks.

So what kind of corals can I add with 3 WPG?????
Old 06-09-2005, 02:10 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

This question is asked often Zac... and basically it comes out the same way. With that, most softies: zoos, leathers, shrooms, polyps, etc, etc. Many to most require stable tank conditions... although there are tons of corals that are hardy and good for starters. Which ones interest you? Let's start from there... and see if you can have it or not.

Old 06-09-2005, 01:43 PM   #3
zacdl

What can I NOT keep?
Old 06-09-2005, 03:57 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ok fisrt off your calculation os not right. You are only giong to have about 2.5 watts per gallon. Are the lights no, vho, pc, mh??? This is also important to know. With that lighting I would stay stick with mushrooms, leathers, zoos and polyps. They are lower light needing corals. Stay away from sps they need 4-5 watts. No calms either they need mh. You may be able the get away with a lps but only if it is high up in your tank. Not much else can be said except do your homework before you buy. Nothing sadder that bringing a coral home and finding out later that it's not going to live in your tank. (don't know who has done that before, surely not me???)
Oscar Wilde
MYTY1705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 03:58 PM   #5
zacdl

PC is what they are.

I dont want a clam either because they dont do anything other than sit there

Basically you guys listed everything I was interested in keeping...
Old 06-09-2005, 04:14 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

My leathers, LPS (candy cane, frogspawn) and quite a few SPS were doing fine in my 2.2wpg tank. I just made sure to put anything other than shrooms, zoos and leathers on the top of my rock work. They're actually less happy with MH than they were with the PC lighting! My SPS started losing a little color with the addition of MH. You can also have sun corals if you can manage to target feed them 2-3x a week. They're non-photosynthetic.

Join the NJ Reef Club Today! Saving the world's reefs one living room at a time!
MACNA XXI Atlantic City, NJ September 25-27, 2009
Phyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 09:42 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to badfish
Hope you dont mind me jumping in here, but i got a 50 gallon tank and ordered a coralife lunare 2X65 watt PC Fixture (2.6 watts per gallon). Are you gus saying polyps, zoos, leathers and mushrooms would do fine in my tank, even at lower levels? tank is 21 inches high.

Thanks

- Jeff

Filtration: 50lbs LR.com, 60lbs sand

Swimmers: 2 O. Clowns, Yellow Watchman, Firefish, Yellow Tang, Dottyback.

Clean-Up: Several snail & hermits, Skunk Cleaner, 2 Peps.

Corals: 2 zoo colonies, yellow polyps, star polyps
badfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 03:30 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

My tank is 2' deep. I had 4x65 over the middle of it and my sps on top of the rock ridge and my mushrooms, zoos and such on the bottom. Everyone was doing fine even with just the PC lighting.

Join the NJ Reef Club Today! Saving the world's reefs one living room at a time!
MACNA XXI Atlantic City, NJ September 25-27, 2009
Phyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 03:37 PM   #9
zacdl

Thanks.
Old 06-10-2005, 03:49 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyl
I had 4x65 over the middle of it and my sps on top of the rock ridge and my mushrooms, zoos and such on the bottom. Everyone was doing fine even with just the PC lighting.
How long did you have the SPS under just PC? FWIW, I would not recommend light loving SPS( Birdsnest, brightly colored Acros, etc.) be kept under fluorescent lighting. In the long run, IME, "browning out" would be an issue along w/ other things. Some lower light SPS, Montipora and hydnophora for example, can be kept under PC/VHO.

Tags
coral, corals

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com