What corals can I keep?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tmcpeek

Aquarium Advice Freak
225 Gallon.

I have URI bulbs
2 72" 160 watt blue VHO
2 72" 160 watt white actinic VHO
2 more VHO bulbs ( not sure if I should use white, blue or aquasun )

Right now I have only 2 of the whites but was thinking of adding the additional 2 to give me 4.26 watts per gallon. I don't really have the space to go with mh as my ceiling height is low since it is in a basement that I converted to a large family room.

The two I know I would like are a pulsing Xenia and some kind of anemone (bubble tip maybe).

With 4.26wpg (3 to 5) you could keep shrooms, polyps,zoos, and some softies. Probably not most of the hard corals or clams. Pulsing xenia(I've heard) are very hard to keep but it depends on your skill level and how long the tank has been set up.

I have shrooms polyps and zoos already on my live rock with just the 4 bulbs. Also there is a toadstool leather and a cabbage that are doing extremely well.

My tank is relitively new. Started it in August and have had the live rock in it since September. Live rock cam from a friends 180 reef tank so it has tons of life on it. I have shrimp, snails, starfish and some hermit crabs.

You have around the same light intensity as me and my Xenia's have been growing very well. I keep them high in the tank dead center. You could also keep any of the corals listed in my profile.

With that lighting you can keep a large range of corals...Mushrooms, polyps, zoos, leatehrs, most LPS as well. A bulb tipe anenome should do just fine as well. Xenia are not hard to keep once they are acclimated. They will ussually spread like crazy. The hard part is finding good ones at the LFS and acclimenting them.

Thanks for the info. My LFS has many xenia's and they all look great. They pulse allot and are always standing up so they seem healthy.

Should I add 2 white bulbs or two aquasuns or 1 blue one white?

Back
Top Bottom