what could this be? (PICTURE)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TimaT

Aquarium Advice Activist
found black spots on my clown fish. (the spots are about the size of the fishes eye) however, google images has pics of the disease being small dot like spots.

long story short: other fish is showing no since of black spots.

no livestock was added for about 6month. and never had ich problems before.

additional info.
1)could this have something to do with my salinity being high? my salinity was slightly over 1.026.
2)could this be from a coral attack? yestarday i moved my big Acropora coral and it released some sort of defense attack all over the tank. and today i sppoted black/ browenish spots.

if it is black ich, what could have caused it?

Specific gravity of 1.026 is no problem and wouldn't to my knowledge cause discoloration in a fish.

What other corals, do you have in your tank... I have heard of corals especially frogspawn stinging clownfish and leaving these type of spots.. Do you see your clownfish rubbing or attempting to hosting corals?

from the lps all i have is a torch coral and a huge Gonipora coral. however they are not new additions to the tank. my fish just swim around like usual. no signs of scratching or anything. [SIZE=+1] [/SIZE]

Attachments

• 21.jpg
    21.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 121
I recently had this very issue (which brought me to post my second post because I usually just read) and it ended up being my WATER. I was using tap water and treating it with start right and found that this is not good for the fish. I switched to distilled water and over the next weeks it is much better. My LFS told me that the tap water has chemicals that make it safe for us to drink but causes some kind of burn on the clown fish. Your picture of your clown looks exactly like mine except mine was far worse. I hope this is the fix you need because it worked for me and now I have a healthy looking clown again.

That chemical is called "chlorine". if you treated your water with something like prime or amquel, it should have been safe.
As for damsels and clowns being stung by LPS, it just doesn't happen. They are impervious to the sting. They host frogspawns and torches, and more dangerous, anemones.

weird. i been using rodi water from the moment i started... so im ruling that out.

Could it be food poisoning? i accidentally dropped a dog treat in there :facepalm:. although i took it right out the clowns were all over it for a few seconds. but that happened a few days ago.

anyway, i will continue to monitor the situation.
thanks for the help guys. i appreciate each and every answer!

weird. i been using rodi water from the moment i started... so im ruling that out.

Could it be food poisoning? i accidentally dropped a dog treat in there :facepalm:. although i took it right out the clowns were all over it for a few seconds. but that happened a few days ago.

anyway, i will continue to monitor the situation.
thanks for the help guys. i appreciate each and every answer!

I would seriously doubt that they would get food poisoning from a dog treat. Although I would be sure to avoid them as a long term diet plan; it might be nice to use the treats to teach them to do some tricks tho :D I would just avoid teaching them to play dead

From everything I've read, the black spots aren't usually a major issue and will usually go away. I've been weirded out by my clowns skin changing color as well.

mine did this randomly one time. i believe it was stings. its very common. if you google clown fish black spots there are tons of photos. my clown cleared up after about a week. but no way to know for sure

Back
Top Bottom