What did I do wrong?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tmyboy

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok....as of yesterday, everything was going very well. All corals growing well, fully extended and parameters good.

I usually just target feed the duncans a few mysis shrimp a couple times a week, but I decided to put some zooplankton in the food mix yesterday. I target fed the Duncan and the Favia yesterday and I come home from work and the Duncan looks bad.

Bottom head is partially retracted and it looks like some
Tentacles are bleaching? The flesh looks a bit unusual around the bottom head as well. Like an acid burn....rough looking.

Just not good overall.

The Favia is bleaching in a small section as well.

I checked all water parameters and they look good.

Sal. 1.024
Ph 8.2
Trates 0
Trites. 0
Ammonia 0
Calcium 420
Alk 2.9

I will never be target feeding with the zooplankton ever again. Will they recover? Maybe?

Attachments

• image-1366986724.jpg
    image-1366986724.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 102
Sniperhank said:
Looks fine to me. My duncan retracts all the time. It's usually due to the crabs or snails crawling up it.

This is not that. Now 2 heads are closed completely and the rest are wide open. If a snail was crawling near it or if a fish swam by it I'd agree with u but I've been watching it for 25 min now. Something is not right

Attachments

• image-2671382287.jpg
    image-2671382287.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 120
How could target feeding cause bleaching and this? Too much maybe?

Well, not sure why it's in the substrate. That could be a source of irritation for it. Other than that...My duncan has 2 heads and is growing a third. They close up and stay that way for a day sometimes. I'd step back and wait. I would agree though about not feeding it like you did though...I just hand feed mine mysis and it is budding so can't be that bad.

Sniperhank said:
Well, not sure why it's in the substrate. That could be a source of irritation for it. Other than that...My duncan has 2 heads and is growing a third. They close up and stay that way for a day sometimes. I'd step back and wait. I would agree though about not feeding it like you did though...I just hand feed mine mysis and it is budding so can't be that bad.

I put it down low to get used to the light to start with. Shud I take them out of there? They were under t5's

They were doing awesome...sucks.

I hope they make it. I think they will.

Has the flow to that area changed lately? I notice sometimes mine pout if the powerhead gets bumped when I am cleaning and don't switch it back right away.

joy13 said:
Has the flow to that area changed lately? I notice sometimes mine pout if the powerhead gets bumped when I am cleaning and don't switch it back right away.

That's actually a good idea. Im gonna check now to see if a PH stopped for some reason.

--UPDATE--

The Duncan is back to normal and looking good thank God. The Favia is bleached in some sections that the zooplankton touched, but I'm sure it'll be fine.

Has anyone ever had trouble with the zooplankton from Kent Marine? Mine went in the trash since this happened!

Lastly....i will be moving off the substrate next week. Wasn't sure how it would hand the mh's and wanted to get it as low in the tank as possible. It was under 4 t5's previously.

Attachments

• image-2514129582.jpg
    image-2514129582.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 100
Back
Top Bottom