WHAT DO I DO ABOUT GREEN SLIME?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MEGNSHANE

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'VE HAD MY TANK FOR ABOUT 5 MONTHS NOW AND I JUST BOUGHT SOME NEW CORAL LIFE T5 FLUORESCENT LIGHTS AND SINCE THEN GREEN SLIME HAS BUILT UP ON MY SAND IN THE BOTTOM.I CAN GET IT OUT BUT IT JUST COMES RIGHT BACK THE NEXT DAY.IS THERE ANY THING TO DO ABOUT THIS?SOMEONE TOLD ME TO GET A LAWNMOWER FISH.DO YOU THINK THAT WILL HELP ANY?

Getting a lawnmower blenny is a bandaid solution. As Mrs Hara said they will not eat cyno but if they did getting the blenny would not be taking care of the problem. As Mrs hara said take care of the water problem and that will be the solution.

I just did a water change and it still grew back.When I tested the water it was fine.i just added a pic in my gallery if you would like to see it.

I would be willing to bet it is a flow problem in that region if the water is fine. I have had that problem countless times (like every time I rearrage the rockwork).

the smallest amounts of phosphate and nitrates will fuel the cyano. That is why we ask what "fine" is to be answered with numerical test readings. That and the fact that someone new to this hobby, when reading individual results that seem fine, cannot see imbalances when all numbers are listed. (such as alk and ca)

CYano has to be siphoned off daily, water changes done until the nitrates and phosphates are at nil and an increase in water flow helps, although I have had cyano grow on the returns of HOB filters and that is in the midst of some heavy flow.

MEGNSHANE if you update "my info" with your tank size/equip/critters, that will help us. I agree, the belnny is a bandaid solution. You have to corect the problem, so it won't return. What kind of filter are you using?

Back
Top Bottom