What do I feed my percula clown?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bschroller

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just recently got a new percula clown fish, but he is not eating as much as the other fish. what exactly do they eat?
He seems to stay at the bottom among the caves and doesnt really come up to the top to grab the food, how can i get the food to him? any help is appreciated

Ours eats just about anything. He likes the Formula brand foods a lot. He even goes after the nori once in a while.

When you say "come to the top to grab food"... what are you feeding? We have enough flow that the food is sent all over the tank at feeding time.

What I meant by him coming to the top during feeding time is that he kind of just waits at the bottom for the food to float down to him and then he grabs a few bites. The other fish I have (two chromis) come to the top of the tank and peck at the food...

Chromis are much more aggressive fish. If your clown IS eating then you don't have too much to worry about... as long as your feeding nutrient rich foods and not just brine shrimp or something like that. Consider offering a variety of different foods. Mix up the diet a bit.

He may just be a little stressed in the new tank as clownfish don't normally hide that often. Give him a few days to acclimate, he should come around and eat.

my clowns are really aggresive due to the fact that my angel also comes up to the surface for food. They go straight to the top whenever i enter the room. :)

HTH

P-MAN

if it is flake food, maybe you can swish it in the water so it doesn't just float on the surface for a while. That is what my mom did with her salt water tank. She mentioned something about how it wasn't good for the fish to get food from the surface. Not sure if that was true or not, but at least everyone in the tank got food right away.

Yeah, flake food works better for me when it's wet. It'll drop to tthe bottom better. When I use it, I grab a pinch, stick it under the water and inch or so, and it drops faster. Otherwise most of it goes down the overflow if you just drop it on top of the water. I also agree that if the clown does eat when the food gets to the bottom, it's OK. He/she is probably just a bit shy being new. My clowns are all around the surface come feeding time - just when they see me coming. It'll probably be alright as it becomes adjusted to the surroundings and tank mates.

Back
Top Bottom