Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-06-2004, 11:17 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

What do I get rid of and what do I keep from LR?

My shipment should be coming in today and I am very interested in getting my hands wet, but before I start I wanted to ask if there is somewhere I can go to identify the critters that I find so I know which ones to get rid off and which ones to keep. I was planing is just rinsing the LR and attempt to identify sponges, dead spots and remove them. I realized that I will have no clue at what Im looking at. Can you guy give me a lil help? I plan on taking lot of pictures. I haved prepared about 25gal of SW to use and also I sort of have incresed the lighting from a 1 50/50, now I have a 50/50 and antic bulb on my setup. I have them now on a timer and it is set for 4hrs daily. Does limited sunlight count into that 4hr, cause my setup is about 5 ft next to a sliding door? I have a covered porch, so there is not direct sunlight. Should I move it before I put the LR in?

Old 10-06-2004, 12:05 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I would highly recommend having another tank set up and ready to accept any critters that you are not sure about. I didn't, and I regret that I ended up tossing a number of critters that might have been keepers.

140#s Live Rock from LiveRocks.com
Frogspawn, Hammer, Zoos, Leather Frag, and Xenia and Green Star Polyp frags from fishfreek and Alarmguy66, Thanks!
Member of the Unofficial A-Team
bound_for_obx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 02:30 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to jackdp
Here is a guide with pics to help id some LR hitchhikers....

http://www.reefs.org/hhfaq/

Also check in the Identification forum on this site, there's some good pics of hitchikers there too.
Old 10-06-2004, 02:57 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks for the info jackdp! I just found out my shipment is in town I can wait to get it.
Old 10-06-2004, 02:57 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to XXFirefighter Send a message via Yahoo to XXFirefighter
Pretty much mantis shrimp would be yoru REAL BAD ones you can get rid of off the start. I did a hypersalienty cooler water temp dip... All the stars were fine and the mantis jumped out.
Old 10-06-2004, 03:10 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

Ive seen many types of diping for preping the LR and cleaning and getting lil critters out, is there one that is most effective?
Old 10-06-2004, 03:52 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to XXFirefighter Send a message via Yahoo to XXFirefighter
Quote:
Originally Posted by 33w_fish_guy
Ive seen many types of diping for preping the LR and cleaning and getting lil critters out, is there one that is most effective?
personal prefrence I think...
I had my 55 gallon tank set up ready to go...
I had a 5 gallon bucket with the hyper salted water. About room temp. Then I just dipped and dumked the rock a few times no longer then 2 min and stuff was jumping out... The good stuff I tossed in my premade water that was going in the tank and the bad stuff into a pitcher of regular salt water.

I put the rock in first then sand. Then added the water and then last the good critters...

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com