Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-28-2013, 09:01 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Unfortunately to get a dori fish, a blue tang you'll need at least a 125g tank thats 6 foot long. tangs all swim ALOT and need the room.

Old 07-28-2013, 09:06 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Then there is loads to learn! I always get people to check out the starting up articles on this website, there is plenty of great advice for starting your first saltwater tank. Plenty of research as patience is the key to saltwater. The beautiful regal tang requires a 180g so aim for that. Also check out liveaquaria.com for fish types and some general info on recommended tanks sizes and compatibility. They also have care requirements for anemones and other corals, happy reading!!!

Old 07-28-2013, 09:47 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I would strongly suggest picking up a book on reef keeping. I've successfully had my reef tank running for seven months now with no previous aquarium experience, other then a betta bowl. I read "the marine reef aquarium" and "the complete idot's guide: to saltwater aquariums". They gave me a good base line of knowledge on ocean life, equipment, and terminology that came in handy during the early stages. It also gave me something to base others advice off of. Everyone on this forum has always been very helpful with me but you cant always trust what someone may spout off. I've gotten some sketchy advice from a part timer at one of the LFS's in my town. Not to mention a few people I've met in passing that claimed to have previous reef experience. Good luck!
Old 07-28-2013, 09:59 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne487 View Post

Oh right! See told you I'm a newbie lol thanks vance, I've just been looking into a 125g tank (for prices) and they aren't too bad second hand it just depends on condition. Couple of new ones were more expensive but also custom built to what dimensions would suit me best. A corner tank would suit me best but I like the look of the longer tanks with the corals
Hey we all started somewhere I've been on here almost a year and still feel new sometimes I'm always learning
Old 07-29-2013, 12:10 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist

I just looked into the blue tang a little more and they can grow upto 30cm (12inch) which I find to be ridiculous I don't know if it would be fair on it to keep it in a tank at that size ill stick to smaller fish, also I saw a picture of someone's tank on here that looked to have fish that glow in blue/low light, anyone know what they are?
Old 07-29-2013, 02:29 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
I just looked into the blue tang a little more and they can grow upto 30cm (12inch) which I find to be ridiculous I don't know if it would be fair on it to keep it in a tank at that size ill stick to smaller fish, also I saw a picture of someone's tank on here that looked to have fish that glow in blue/low light, anyone know what they are?
That would probably be the freshwater glofish which are really zebra danios, or the glo skirt tetras, which are just really normal tetras.... Yet are freshwater. I have the tetras.
Old 07-29-2013, 07:09 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by astronomicallee123 View Post

That would probably be the freshwater glofish which are really zebra danios, or the glo skirt tetras, which are just really normal tetras.... Yet are freshwater. I have the tetras.
Really because he had corals in there too?

Edit: I found the link to his thread with the picture

150gal in-wall simulated marine tank
Old 07-29-2013, 09:29 AM   #18
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

That is a freshwater tank. It is in the freshwater build forum.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 09:40 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Really because he had corals in there too?

Edit: I found the link to his thread with the picture

150gal in-wall simulated marine tank - Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community
this guy had coral inserts put in the tank. it's actually a freshwater tank. those are glo fish
Old 07-29-2013, 09:41 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

it's funny how i read this thread when i just got a handed down 30gal tank with live sand and some live rock. i would like to know what are some good starter fish i can try. any takers?

ps. i don't have a powerhead or a skimmer. i don't know if i need a powerhead for FOWLR

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com