What do i need to start a reef tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wayne487

Aquarium Advice Activist
So far I have a FW and a few tropical tanks set up with mainly small fish and I love it but I want more! I want the vibrant colours and a new adventure but I like to research first.

What I want to know is what is a good size tank that would be reasonably easy to care for and what are the start up costs roughly (not so much the tank just the extras like heaters pumps/sumps and all the bits newbies like me wouldn't know about. I've had a bad experience just relying on LFS, one of which sold me a crown tail for a FW unheated tank. Any help is greatly appreciated :) thanks in advance!

I'm following along cause I'm planning on having a reef tank down the road so any info helps and im looking forward to seeing yours turn out

I'm following along cause I'm planning on having a reef tank down the road so any info helps and im looking forward to seeing yours turn out

I'm hoping to get mine sorted by Christmas so it seems a long time away but I want to get the biggest tank I can afford which will allow me better choices in fish and such without having to upgrade at a later stage.

Not sure if there is already a thread for this but I must have missed it if there is, I've only been a member here since yesterday lol. Good luck with yours chance hope to see pictures as soon as its set up

I always suggest nothing smaller than a 29 for a beginner. It gives you some nice fish choices and gives you some room for error. My first set up was a 29 with a powerhead, hob filter, t5 lighting, and a heater.

I always suggest nothing smaller than a 29 for a beginner. It gives you some nice fish choices and gives you some room for error. My first set up was a 29 with a powerhead, hob filter, t5 lighting, and a heater.

Ummm couple of questions as I have only dealt with small tropical and FW tanks what's a power head hob filter?

I'm hoping to get mine sorted by Christmas so it seems a long time away but I want to get the biggest tank I can afford which will allow me better choices in fish and such without having to upgrade at a later stage.

Not sure if there is already a thread for this but I must have missed it if there is, I've only been a member here since yesterday lol. Good luck with yours chance hope to see pictures as soon as its set up

Haven't started a started a thread yet I really want to do a corner tank but shooting for 50-100g tank if not corner than that's OK I might be getting a 50g soon from a Tennant at work who is planning to move soon idk when yet

Haven't started a started a thread yet I really want to do a corner tank but shooting for 50-100g tank if not corner than that's OK I might be getting a 50g soon from a Tennant at work who is planning to move soon idk when yet

Hob is hang on back filter and a power head helps create water movement through out the tank

I started with a 29g tank as my first and I agree it gives you a nice chance to get into the hobby without getting a huge tank. The bigger it is the easier it is with saltwater. :)

I had a hang on back filter, heater, hang onback skimmer ( not necessary if you are religious with your water changes imo) and two powerheads, koralia's for water flow which is vital in a saltwater tank.

After about 40g I think a sump and drilled tank are your best options. At that point a skimmer becomes more important and you'd need larger flow powerheads of course for the larger size tank.

And of course a must have, especially for first timers is a test kit. The general saltwater API kit is a great start and run about $20 online.

And depending on if you want corals or not will dictate the lighting fixture. This is a huge amount of $$ compared to the other expenses as you need pretty good lighting to keep corals. If you are interested in fish only for now you can get any light you like. :)

Hob is hang on back filter and a power head helps create water movement through out the tank

Oh right! See told you I'm a newbie lol thanks vance, I've just been looking into a 125g tank (for prices) and they aren't too bad second hand it just depends on condition. Couple of new ones were more expensive but also custom built to what dimensions would suit me best. A corner tank would suit me best but I like the look of the longer tanks with the corals

I started with a 29g tank as my first and I agree it gives you a nice chance to get into the hobby without getting a huge tank. The bigger it is the easier it is with saltwater. :)

I had a hang on back filter, heater, hang onback skimmer ( not necessary if you are religious with your water changes imo) and two powerheads, koralia's for water flow which is vital in a saltwater tank.

After about 40g I think a sump and drilled tank are your best options. At that point a skimmer becomes more important and you'd need larger flow powerheads of course for the larger size tank.

And of course a must have, especially for first timers is a test kit. The general saltwater API kit is a great start and run about $20 online.

And depending on if you want corals or not will dictate the lighting fixture. This is a huge amount of $$ compared to the other expenses as you need pretty good lighting to keep corals. If you are interested in fish only for now you can get any light you like. :)

I would love corals they amaze me so much so lighting would be a big thing for me then! I'd also like some anemones (spelling?) if love some clown fish and I've forgotten their full name but its royal blue or regal blue tang i think? something like that (basically the fish off finding nemo lol) due to their colour I find them so amazing and the clown fish look like they could be real entertainers lol

Unfortunately to get a dori fish, a blue tang you'll need at least a 125g tank thats 6 foot long. tangs all swim ALOT and need the room.

Then there is loads to learn! I always get people to check out the starting up articles on this website, there is plenty of great advice for starting your first saltwater tank. Plenty of research as patience is the key to saltwater. The beautiful regal tang requires a 180g so aim for that. Also check out liveaquaria.com for fish types and some general info on recommended tanks sizes and compatibility. They also have care requirements for anemones and other corals, happy reading!!!

I would strongly suggest picking up a book on reef keeping. I've successfully had my reef tank running for seven months now with no previous aquarium experience, other then a betta bowl. I read "the marine reef aquarium" and "the complete idot's guide: to saltwater aquariums". They gave me a good base line of knowledge on ocean life, equipment, and terminology that came in handy during the early stages. It also gave me something to base others advice off of. Everyone on this forum has always been very helpful with me but you cant always trust what someone may spout off. I've gotten some sketchy advice from a part timer at one of the LFS's in my town. Not to mention a few people I've met in passing that claimed to have previous reef experience. Good luck!

Last edited:
Oh right! See told you I'm a newbie lol thanks vance, I've just been looking into a 125g tank (for prices) and they aren't too bad second hand it just depends on condition. Couple of new ones were more expensive but also custom built to what dimensions would suit me best. A corner tank would suit me best but I like the look of the longer tanks with the corals

Hey we all started somewhere I've been on here almost a year and still feel new sometimes I'm always learning

I just looked into the blue tang a little more and they can grow upto 30cm (12inch) which I find to be ridiculous I don't know if it would be fair on it to keep it in a tank at that size ill stick to smaller fish, also I saw a picture of someone's tank on here that looked to have fish that glow in blue/low light, anyone know what they are?

I just looked into the blue tang a little more and they can grow upto 30cm (12inch) which I find to be ridiculous I don't know if it would be fair on it to keep it in a tank at that size ill stick to smaller fish, also I saw a picture of someone's tank on here that looked to have fish that glow in blue/low light, anyone know what they are?

That would probably be the freshwater glofish which are really zebra danios, or the glo skirt tetras, which are just really normal tetras.... Yet are freshwater. I have the tetras.

it's funny how i read this thread when i just got a handed down 30gal tank with live sand and some live rock. i would like to know what are some good starter fish i can try. any takers?

ps. i don't have a powerhead or a skimmer. i don't know if i need a powerhead for FOWLR

Back
Top Bottom