Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-28-2013, 08:11 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

What do i need to start a reef tank?

So far I have a FW and a few tropical tanks set up with mainly small fish and I love it but I want more! I want the vibrant colours and a new adventure but I like to research first.

What I want to know is what is a good size tank that would be reasonably easy to care for and what are the start up costs roughly (not so much the tank just the extras like heaters pumps/sumps and all the bits newbies like me wouldn't know about. I've had a bad experience just relying on LFS, one of which sold me a crown tail for a FW unheated tank. Any help is greatly appreciated thanks in advance!

Old 07-28-2013, 08:19 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm following along cause I'm planning on having a reef tank down the road so any info helps and im looking forward to seeing yours turn out

Old 07-28-2013, 08:30 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by vance1013 View Post
I'm following along cause I'm planning on having a reef tank down the road so any info helps and im looking forward to seeing yours turn out
I'm hoping to get mine sorted by Christmas so it seems a long time away but I want to get the biggest tank I can afford which will allow me better choices in fish and such without having to upgrade at a later stage.

Not sure if there is already a thread for this but I must have missed it if there is, I've only been a member here since yesterday lol. Good luck with yours chance hope to see pictures as soon as its set up
Old 07-28-2013, 08:35 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I always suggest nothing smaller than a 29 for a beginner. It gives you some nice fish choices and gives you some room for error. My first set up was a 29 with a powerhead, hob filter, t5 lighting, and a heater.
Old 07-28-2013, 08:39 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masoniac View Post
I always suggest nothing smaller than a 29 for a beginner. It gives you some nice fish choices and gives you some room for error. My first set up was a 29 with a powerhead, hob filter, t5 lighting, and a heater.
Ummm couple of questions as I have only dealt with small tropical and FW tanks what's a power head hob filter?
Old 07-28-2013, 08:41 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne487 View Post

I'm hoping to get mine sorted by Christmas so it seems a long time away but I want to get the biggest tank I can afford which will allow me better choices in fish and such without having to upgrade at a later stage.

Not sure if there is already a thread for this but I must have missed it if there is, I've only been a member here since yesterday lol. Good luck with yours chance hope to see pictures as soon as its set up
Haven't started a started a thread yet I really want to do a corner tank but shooting for 50-100g tank if not corner than that's OK I might be getting a 50g soon from a Tennant at work who is planning to move soon idk when yet
Old 07-28-2013, 08:43 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:

Haven't started a started a thread yet I really want to do a corner tank but shooting for 50-100g tank if not corner than that's OK I might be getting a 50g soon from a Tennant at work who is planning to move soon idk when yet
Hob is hang on back filter and a power head helps create water movement through out the tank
Old 07-28-2013, 08:47 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I started with a 29g tank as my first and I agree it gives you a nice chance to get into the hobby without getting a huge tank. The bigger it is the easier it is with saltwater.

I had a hang on back filter, heater, hang onback skimmer ( not necessary if you are religious with your water changes imo) and two powerheads, koralia's for water flow which is vital in a saltwater tank.

After about 40g I think a sump and drilled tank are your best options. At that point a skimmer becomes more important and you'd need larger flow powerheads of course for the larger size tank.

And of course a must have, especially for first timers is a test kit. The general saltwater API kit is a great start and run about $20 online.

And depending on if you want corals or not will dictate the lighting fixture. This is a huge amount of $$ compared to the other expenses as you need pretty good lighting to keep corals. If you are interested in fish only for now you can get any light you like.
Old 07-28-2013, 08:51 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:

Hob is hang on back filter and a power head helps create water movement through out the tank
Oh right! See told you I'm a newbie lol thanks vance, I've just been looking into a 125g tank (for prices) and they aren't too bad second hand it just depends on condition. Couple of new ones were more expensive but also custom built to what dimensions would suit me best. A corner tank would suit me best but I like the look of the longer tanks with the corals
Old 07-28-2013, 08:54 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey View Post
I started with a 29g tank as my first and I agree it gives you a nice chance to get into the hobby without getting a huge tank. The bigger it is the easier it is with saltwater.

I had a hang on back filter, heater, hang onback skimmer ( not necessary if you are religious with your water changes imo) and two powerheads, koralia's for water flow which is vital in a saltwater tank.

After about 40g I think a sump and drilled tank are your best options. At that point a skimmer becomes more important and you'd need larger flow powerheads of course for the larger size tank.

And of course a must have, especially for first timers is a test kit. The general saltwater API kit is a great start and run about $20 online.

And depending on if you want corals or not will dictate the lighting fixture. This is a huge amount of $$ compared to the other expenses as you need pretty good lighting to keep corals. If you are interested in fish only for now you can get any light you like.
I would love corals they amaze me so much so lighting would be a big thing for me then! I'd also like some anemones (spelling?) if love some clown fish and I've forgotten their full name but its royal blue or regal blue tang i think? something like that (basically the fish off finding nemo lol) due to their colour I find them so amazing and the clown fish look like they could be real entertainers lol

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com