Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-10-2003, 11:08 PM   #1
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
What do people think about Marine Snow?

I have been thinking of getting this or something else to target feed or at least suplment the corals in the tank.

I know the walt wiss products people dont overly like.

But what about the Marine Snow product?

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2003, 11:13 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to rthoman Send a message via MSN to rthoman Send a message via Yahoo to rthoman
Been using marine snow for a week now. I'll keep everyone updated on what happens. A few corals have perked up a little but nothing major.

Old 04-10-2003, 11:23 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to michealprater
I used it and my corals always seem full. I dont use it anymore and they still look full. However, for as cheap as it is, I know it cant hurt.
Old 04-10-2003, 11:39 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

I haven't found it necessary to supplament my homemade food, when I process it I make sure I liquify some of it to feed the inverts. If I were to add a food for my corals it would be live phyto-plankton, like DT's. I have read that after the DT's has gone out of date....it's still better than the marine snow. I seem to remember that Rob Toonan did an article on different plankton/phyto-plankton sources....
Planktonic Foods for Reef Aquaria: If you feed the tank, are these foods for you?" Marine Fish & Reef USA Annual 2002
Not sure if I've got this annual or not, if I do...I'll scan it and send it to ya.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2003, 12:04 AM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
I read the same article. I have been using the Kent stuff (phytoplex, chromaplex, ect...) and it seems to work OK. I want to try some of the DT or maybe get some live cultures going.
Logan J
Old 04-11-2003, 12:16 AM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
I agree on the homemade food thought. The mush I make feeds everything. The corals literally stuff themselves on it.
Old 04-11-2003, 10:06 AM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Quote:
Planktonic Foods for Reef Aquaria: If you feed the tank, are these foods for you?" Marine Fish & Reef USA Annual 2002
Not sure if I've got this annual or not, if I do...I'll scan it and send it to ya.
If you find it that would be great.

Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
Old 04-11-2003, 03:50 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Kevin - if you don't have it, I do.

FF - from what I've read about Marine Snow, the stuff is relatively worthless. If I remember right, I think it's like 99.99% water, or pretty close to that.

I use our Homemade Food, and spike that with Tahitian Blend Cryopaste (phyto), Golden Pearls (the 2 smaller sizes), and Sweetwater Zooplankton. The phyto (1/2 recommended dose) gets added to the food nightly, and I alternate nights with the Golden Pearls and Zooplankton.

Note - the Zooplankton & Phyto don't really 'directly' benefit the corals, however, I believe in "feeding the tank", as long as it's not overdone.

HTH,
Old 04-11-2003, 04:27 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

Well whom ever wants to scan it in feel free as I would enjoy reading.

RL what you say backs up what I heard from a fellow reefer today. He said it was 99% suger water.

Old 04-11-2003, 05:13 PM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
He said it was 99% suger water.
Is it made by Marc Weiss?? I thought it was made by Two Little Fishies...LOL.

I've got it, but it will be tomorrow afternoon or later this evening before I can scan it. Baseball game tonight. If you receive the article post in here and I won't bother to scan it.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marine

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com