Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-04-2009, 04:48 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to match55 Send a message via MSN to match55 Send a message via Yahoo to match55
what do u guys think? (aquarium background)

I was doing a cover up for my DIY stand this morning and came out with a piece of card board that fit right on my aquarium background, so I went to get my art tools and decided to paint my own tank BG.
what do you guys think?
suggestions are welcome, cuz I can always do changes on my painting XD

the reason I paint on the back side of the card board is that my tank is on beside the wall, so I will still be able to see the ugly side of the card board on the back of my tank if I didn't paint it this way.

Old 10-04-2009, 04:51 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Flake
I really like the idea. I don't know why that never occurred to me before.

I'd like to see how it looks on to see if the cardboard texture is still noticeable, that's the only thing that bothers me. I might try the same with illustration board.

Old 10-04-2009, 05:04 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to match55 Send a message via MSN to match55 Send a message via Yahoo to match55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flake View Post
I really like the idea. I don't know why that never occurred to me before.

I'd like to see how it looks on to see if the cardboard texture is still noticeable, that's the only thing that bothers me. I might try the same with illustration board.
it should be fine after I put it on the back, I will post a picture once the board its dry, and if the texture is noticeable, I might redo it on illustration board too. haha

I don't think its noticeable, just that I might need to make the top part a little bit lighter, cuz can't really tell the different between the bottom and the top.

update:
lighter color will show the texture of the cardboard, so will get illustration board tmr.

with white light

with the backlight changed to blue.
Old 10-04-2009, 09:32 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Looks cool. Why the PVC tubing in the tank in the corners and the lone piece in the front middle?
Old 10-04-2009, 09:39 PM   #5
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Looks pretty good.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 09:55 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

love the color blending of the blue. shows that instead of going to the store and buying something, all you have to do is put intellectuality to work and you've got yourself some saved cash. cant wait to see it on the tank.
Beautiful setup btw
Old 10-04-2009, 10:12 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostKnife View Post
Looks cool. Why the PVC tubing in the tank in the corners and the lone piece in the front middle?
ops I misunderstood which PVC u were talking about, the one in the bottom front, I was just hoping my clowns will use it as a home in the future LOL

thanks guys for the comment, since I don't wanna spend more money, I might just change to a different color, cuz the one that I did right now its too dark.
and too light will show the cardboard texture, so I am thinking a way/color that able to cover the texture yet light enough to be able to see on the back.

to troshs
it will be more $$$ if I don't have those used aryclic paint left couple years ago,those paint r $$$$ XP
Old 10-04-2009, 10:16 PM   #8

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by match55 View Post
I directed the return pump line (that PVC) to the front, cuz at the back I have the hydra 2 powerhead pointing 45degree upward to creat wave.
I am still experiencing how I want the flow to go.

thanks guys for the comment, since I don't wanna spend more money, I might just change to a different color, cuz the one that I did right now its too dark.
and too light will show the cardboard texture, so I am thinking a way/color that able to cover the texture yet light enough to be able to see on the back.

to troshs
it will be more $$$ if I don't have those used aryclic paint left couple years ago,those paint r $$$$ XP

ah i see. my mom used to buy those all the time to do ceramics. the color quality is worth every cent though
Old 10-04-2009, 10:21 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by troshs View Post
ah i see. my mom used to buy those all the time to do ceramics. the color quality is worth every cent though
yupyup~ I m glad they r still useable after like 3~4 years.
I have a up coming art class next semester that need to use them again LOL

I think I might add a little something on the background so it won't just be blue and dark blue hehe

this marine blue shows up better than the gray blue I have earlier, and I added a red fan (I know its bad, but..anyway XD)

Old 10-07-2009, 12:26 AM   #10

too cool

Tags
background, diy

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com