What do you add to your tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ctmedman

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi. I just wanted to get a feel for what type of additives people use in their tanks? If you could go through the categories and let me know what you are using I would appreciate it. There are so many different choices for everything that it gets quite confusing.

1) Nitrate reducers (other than water changes)

2) Phosphate reducers

3) Vitamins

4) Calcium

5) Fish food

6) Coral and invert food

7) Anything else you can think of :lol:

Thanks again.

1) Nitrate reducers (other than water changes) None

2) Phosphate reducers - None

3) Vitamins- zoe, selcon

4) Calcium -none have turbo Ca but have never had to use it

5) Fish food Mysis and brine shrimp, cyclop-eeze, fomula 1 & 2, nori

6) Coral and invert food - marine snow, scraps from above

7) Anything else you can think of - garlic extreme

Skimming and carbon...

2) Phosphate reducers
Skimming, presoaking foods in tank water and rinsing. Using RO/DI water.

3) Vitamins
Selcon, garlic (as an antioxidant) and foods containing Beta Glucan.

4) Calcium
C-Balance, Kalwasser and to tweek, Turbo Ca occassionaly

5) Fish food
Mysis, Cyclop-eeze, broccoli, spinach, nori, Ocean Nutrition Prime reef/formula 1&2 and Spurlina flakes.

6) Coral and invert food
Whatever the fish don't eat and what they put out when their done with it. No liquid foods are used for corals directly.

7) Anything else you can think of
Nothing

Cheers
Steve

Nothing added, but I utilize a Nitra-Gone De-Nitrator. I run Carbon in a home made mix of carbon and PhosBan in PhosBan 'reactor'. I am not sure Carbon lends itself to Nitrate reduction, but, like Prego, its in there. CPR SR4 Skimmer.

2) Phosphate reducers
See above. I have also utilized Phosphate reducing filter media in the past. They work well.

3) Vitamins
Selcon (Just recently started using it)

4) Calcium
Water changes. I have re introduced Kalk and also use Turbo Ca to adjust levels. You just can't beat the happy corals you get with kalk 8)

5) Fish food
MarineLand Flakes, occasional freeze dried brine, krill and once in a blue moon silver sides, shaken, not stirred. Of course sea veggies for the Tang and other Omnivores. More importantly is probably how often, but hey, its your post :D

6) Coral and invert food
The very rare use of Kent's Invert/Filter Feeder. This stuff can pollute a tank like nobodys business so Im extremely stingy with it. I usually let the dried food soak in it and the selcon. I do not target feed any of my babies :lol:

7) Anything else you can think of :lol:
Oceanic Salt kicks *edit*!!!

Thanks again.[/quote]

Back
Top Bottom