What do you name your fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gauge

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Here are my fish's names...

Longhorn Cowfish = Tug
Saddleback Clown = Bo
Bi-Color Blenny = Tom (cuz he peeps)
Honey Chromis = Nut (honey nut... get it?) :p
Purple Firefish Goby = Flick

We also have a strange naming scheme for our arrow crabs. We've had four now and the first one was named Bob. Since then we've changed only one letter at a time for each successor. Here's the list in order...

Bob
Rob
Rod
Tod (couldn't break the rules for two d's) ;)

My arrow crab is called Imbecile, ever since he decided to explore the impeller end of a powerhead.

then I have an Electric Blue Hermit I call doofus cause he somehow always ends up stuck on his back, and needs my help.

Thats about it. :\

Our Maculosus angel-Angie
Yellow Tang- Dorie
4 Perc Clowns- Nemo, Finding Nemo, Junior and Ginger
Royal Gramma- Sparkle
Scooter Blenny- Scooter
Neon Goby- Blue dude
Orange star-peach
Cleaner Shrimp- Peanutbutter and Jelly
Blood Red Shrimp-Leo and Cleo
4 Urchins, Spike, Snowball, Little Blue and Pine cone
Emerald Crab, Muscleman (because of his growth)
Others inverts, unnamed
In QT, our Heni Butterfly- Emily ( I'm going to change it to miracle, due to her recovery from illness)
All were named by my 5 and 6 year old :)

We have one emerald crab that is significantly bigger than the others and his name is "The Beast." We also used to have a lot of green chromis, and they were a collective (like the Borg) named Bort.

Firefish Goby - Butch
Pincushion Urchin - Flapjack

Deceased:
Red Volitan Lionfish - Bob
Black Shark - Shatter
Neon Tetras - Itty, Bitty, Teenie, Weenie, Itsy, Bitsy, Teensie, Weensie.
Beta - Alpha

a quick run down of my fishy friends:

Flame Angel - P. Fuego (p.=pez or fish in spanish, and fuego= flame in spanish)
Maroon Gold Stripe Clown- Krusty (krusty the clown get it?, we are Simpson's fans)
Six line Wrasse- Mr. Pink
Gold and Black Chromis- Sarc (MCP's right hand man from TRON)
Blue Chromis- Chromie (guess how we came up with that one :lol: !)
Madarine Gobi- Mr. Gobi (he is a male so that was an easy name)
Psychedelic Gobi- Mrs. Gobi (She is a female, so we made them a couple Mr. and Mrs. Gobi, pretty cute huh?!!)
Green Clown Gobi- Gobetta (another play on the actual name of the fish)
Yellow Watchman Gobi- Watchman (another simple name)
A couple of PJ Cardinals- PJ'S (so if you haven't figure it out yet, we basically come up with some fun names, and some pretty easy names based on the actual name of the fish species.)

we have fun nameing our fish, and its cool to see whatevery one else comes up with!

have fun,
Mermaid!!

Yeah, I figured I wasn't the only one who came up with psycho names, haha. Is Mr. Pink an indication that you're also Reservoir Dogs fans? :p

Porcupine Puffer (Puffy)
Clown Trigger (Tom)
Bi-color Blenny (Nero)
White Cheek Tang (Fred)

All my other fish/inverts etc don't really have names.

but wait that was just my reef tank!! my fish tank has:

Fu Manchu Lion Fish- DR. FU
Neon Damsal- Nelson (another Simpson's name, cause he's a bully fish!)
Strawberry Pseudo- Emily (after a friend of mine who gave me this fish)

then my seahorse tank has:

Black seahorse- Bill (Sam's pony from The Fellowship of the Ring, Lord of the Rings)
Brazillian Orange Seahorse- Pecos (we thought that sounded cool with bill's name, get it Pecos and Bill, Pecos Bill!!)

so that's all my fishy friends!
Mermaid!

Only 2 fish so far :

Maroon Clown - Eric (From "That 70's Show" - son of Red, get it ? Reaching I know :) )
Kole Tang - Holmes (As in Sherlock Holmes due to the magnifying glass circle around the eye )

Both our cleaner shrimp are called Russkie

I have also named one of my Astraea snails "Don King" as he has a fuzzy growth of algae standing on top of his shell :D

Yellow Tang - Pootie tang :wink:
2 percs - frisbee and boomerang (they have different swimming patterns)
lettuce nudibranch- Mr. Nudibranch (he likes the proper prefix)
Cleaner shrimp - Carl (after a jr. high custodian)
fire red shrimp - i'm trying to decide between Commie and Ruddy
chromis - Blinky, Pinky, Inky, and Clyde

Jim

i name them all "fish". However, my wife likes to come up eith names:
Yellow tang: Flash
Purple Tang: Prince
Coral Beauty: Beauty
Flame Angel: Tiger Lily
Choc. Chip startfish: Chip
copperband butterfly: Coop

Bicolor Blenny-Blennie Hill
Kole Tang-Rainbow(because he can change colors)
royal gramma-Gramma
Tomato clowns-Bob and Cindy
yellow tang-bright
2 golden head sleeper gobies-salvador gravano and sammy da bull
yellow tailed damsel-gladiator

Mr. MArine

names

it's weird, there are several topics that I have started, didn't get much of a response, then the same topic shows up later on, by someone else, and everyone participates... oh well... I'd think this would be a good general discussion topic, or lounge, unless you salties want to keep to yourself...?
So far I have never named a pet, part of it is because all the pets I've owned wouldn't be able to know there name if I said it a million times to them, and I also don't like attaching myself tooo much to them. I find when I name them I get to attached, then eventually they die... I know.., part of life... I came close to naming a toad I had because it was really cool. I could get it to eat out of my hand... then it died before I could name it... I have too many guppies, I'm sure not going to name them... I suppose if I ever get a pet that really gets close to my heart, then I might name it... Maybe once I setup my 55, after I move, I will find that perfect pet... maybe it will be one of my snakes....... eh, who knows...

I haven't come up with very creative names for my fish like a lot of you people.So far i've got:
Foxface - Yellow guy
Saddle back clown - Brown guy
Pair of Percula Clowns - The Clown bros
And I haven't named any of my inverts except one snail who is always on its back. So i've named it Surrey. Which is kind of an inside joke that people from The Lower Mainland will get.

diadema dottyback is Kobe, crimson and creme(maroon)clownfish is Boomer, his mate will be Sooner, my cleaner shrimp is Rico Suave, and haven't found a good name for my pacific blue, Dotty just seems overplayed

I ask for advice from my wife for names so if you like the name, it was my wife, if you think it is stupid, it was my choice.

2 ocalleris clowns- Aragon and unnamed (Arwen passed over the river)
2 dominoe damsels- Urlacher and Favre (the exception is that the stupid named one was my wife's idea (Favre))
1 yellow tailed damsel- Newman (#12) (Kenseth found the checkered flag)
1 electric blue damsel- Yzerman
1 cleaner shrimp- Gimli (a shrimp)
1 fire shrimp- Fuego
1 blue-legged hermit- Azul
1 emerald crab- Verde
1 large and ugly turbo snail- Smiegel (and when its being stupid- Golum)
1 margarita snail- Margarita (Daquiri was a red-footed snail that bottomed out)

I have 1 unnamed bta, cleaner shrimp and 3 peppermint shrimp and bunch of other snails.

all the animals in this house tend to change names just happens some how:
dog started out bear renamed trouble (she was!!!) finally settled on twiggy she now responds to any one of the three names or just call her twiggy trouble bear

the kole tang started out rainbow then was the king now his name is elvis goes back to the king thing
the bi-color blenny has always stayed cute face
was going to have 2 tomato clowns to be named roma and beefsteak but now we have 2 pink skunks on hold at fish store to be named pinkie and stinky daughter and hubby are in a debate as to which will be which :twisted:
fire shrimp was flame now is phoenix
2 cleaner shrimp frick and frag when they are behaving jeckle and hyde when they are not and the mandarin hunter

Back
Top Bottom