Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-11-2011, 08:18 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

What do you Pay for FRags?

Since i have started purchasing coral recently i was curious what the general consensus was for max $ on a frag not a colony that people are willing to spend. I noticed there are a lucky free who don't have to spend anything cause they have friends with colonies. IMO i would not spend anymore than 50$ with shipping on any single coral frag. As a side note i am broke college student so i need to have some priorities like food.

Old 10-11-2011, 08:37 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Depends on the frag. My lfs has monti frags the size of quarters for $4 and zoa frags for about $20. Torch and hammers are $29 but are pretty large.

Old 10-11-2011, 09:05 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Nice yeah i am about to pick up a really nice Blastomussa for about 30$ + 15 shipping.
Old 10-12-2011, 09:36 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I have paid from $4 up to about $55 depending on the size and type of frag. I got the tiniest stalk of xenia for the $4 and it has now taken over the left side of my tank! LOL I usually stay around the $20 mark though, keeps it reasonable and theres a good selection usually at that price point.
Old 10-12-2011, 11:33 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

It depends on where you live and where you shop. I go to swaps and also there are people on local forums and craigslist that I buy from. I have gotten some for free even such as kenya, xenia, monty, cabbage leather and even mushrooms. I have actually gotten the best deals from craigslist and forums along with great information. Unless it is something I really want I won't go over $20.
Old 10-12-2011, 01:28 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey View Post
I have paid from $4 up to about $55 depending on the size and type of frag. I got the tiniest stalk of xenia for the $4 and it has now taken over the left side of my tank! LOL I usually stay around the $20 mark though, keeps it reasonable and theres a good selection usually at that price point.

Florida has unfair prices lol. I just found a NJ reefer's Club ( the name made me lol) But i dont feel like being active on 2 forums so i will prob always overpay which is why my tank is sparse.
Old 10-12-2011, 01:53 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Watch the forum on the local one you don't have to be active on it to find out if they are going to have a swap. There is someone actually giving away frogspawn i don't know if there is a limit of the amount of posts someone has to have before claiming stuff but it might be worth checking into. The sponsors on he forums around my area will give discounts to people that belong to them. The New Jersey Reefers Club that is the forum you are talking about isn't it?
Old 10-12-2011, 01:55 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

yes that is the one i just joined and they have a swap coming up but i will be at a wedding on that date so i am kind of out of luck there.
Old 10-12-2011, 01:57 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

I joined the local Atlanta club and attended this months meeting and fag swap last night. It was fun and some really nice stuff. I bought one $10 frag but if I was ready and had some extra cash I could have stocked the entire tank. LOL
Old 10-12-2011, 02:17 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Swaps are great the one I go to has homemade cookies as an added bonus usually. Next month the 12th is reefsmart in Raleigh I am going to that one not matter what. Cookies, demos, toys for tots raffle and some really great deals on lifestock frrom anemones to shrimp.

Tags
frag, frags

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

« Red alge | windex? »