What do you Pay for FRags?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bootz

Aquarium Advice Freak
Since i have started purchasing coral recently i was curious what the general consensus was for max $ on a frag not a colony that people are willing to spend. I noticed there are a lucky free who don't have to spend anything cause they have friends with colonies. IMO i would not spend anymore than 50$ with shipping on any single coral frag. As a side note i am broke college student so i need to have some priorities like food.

Depends on the frag. My lfs has monti frags the size of quarters for $4 and zoa frags for about $20. Torch and hammers are $29 but are pretty large.

Nice yeah i am about to pick up a really nice Blastomussa for about 30$ + 15 shipping.

I have paid from $4 up to about $55 depending on the size and type of frag. I got the tiniest stalk of xenia for the $4 and it has now taken over the left side of my tank! LOL I usually stay around the $20 mark though, keeps it reasonable and theres a good selection usually at that price point. :)

It depends on where you live and where you shop. I go to swaps and also there are people on local forums and craigslist that I buy from. I have gotten some for free even such as kenya, xenia, monty, cabbage leather and even mushrooms. I have actually gotten the best deals from craigslist and forums along with great information. Unless it is something I really want I won't go over $20.

I have paid from $4 up to about $55 depending on the size and type of frag. I got the tiniest stalk of xenia for the $4 and it has now taken over the left side of my tank! LOL I usually stay around the $20 mark though, keeps it reasonable and theres a good selection usually at that price point. :)

Florida has unfair prices lol. I just found a NJ reefer's Club ( the name made me lol) But i dont feel like being active on 2 forums so i will prob always overpay which is why my tank is sparse.

Watch the forum on the local one you don't have to be active on it to find out if they are going to have a swap. There is someone actually giving away frogspawn i don't know if there is a limit of the amount of posts someone has to have before claiming stuff but it might be worth checking into. The sponsors on he forums around my area will give discounts to people that belong to them. The New Jersey Reefers Club that is the forum you are talking about isn't it?

yes that is the one i just joined and they have a swap coming up but i will be at a wedding on that date so i am kind of out of luck there.

I joined the local Atlanta club and attended this months meeting and fag swap last night. It was fun and some really nice stuff. I bought one $10 frag but if I was ready and had some extra cash I could have stocked the entire tank. LOL

Swaps are great the one I go to has homemade cookies as an added bonus usually. Next month the 12th is reefsmart in Raleigh I am going to that one not matter what. Cookies, demos, toys for tots raffle and some really great deals on lifestock frrom anemones to shrimp.

LOL on the cookies. :) We had pizza last night. Besides the frag swap last night, the info on the site is great and I have seen tons of really good equipment for sale at cheap prices. But thing that got me to pay the membership was how many times I saw people band together to go fix a car for someone in need, or help with any other emergency that was non-fish related. Bunch of good people.

Back
Top Bottom