Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 12-27-2003, 12:48 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
What do you recommend for refugium water flow?

If I was going to use a refugium for an acclimation/propogation chamber as well as a nutrient export area by growing macroalgaes, do you:

1) think it needs adequate water flow through it, to expose it to nutrients and keep fresh water for any acclimating fish?
2) If so, in what case would you want minimal water flow?
3) If not, in what case would you want higher water flow?

As far as what I mean by flow, I mean water exposure, not current. Thanks everyone!

dansemacabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2003, 01:31 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
imo i wouldnt acclimate a fish in a fuge unless mabe a manderin that needed food fast !!
if your fuge and sump are separate than i would split half and half of your main tanks flow into both imo but imo it doesnt matter for the most part all critters/algae will grow in higher flow setups the same as slower ones !! thats my 2 cents !! never hurts to play with diff flows and see what you and your animals like

good luck keith
scuba_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2003, 01:35 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic
As mentioned, do not acclimate fish in any tank water that will be inline with your display tank. Regardless if you separate the two for the process, any parasites or pathogens will be in your display tank when you run them together again. A quarantine tank, both cheap and easy, will be necessary for this process.

As for the rest of your question, I don't get your differentiation between "water exposure" and current
HoopsGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2003, 01:41 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak
Thanks for the opinions. Well, you can get high water exposure (a lot of water flowing through) without having high current. I want the water to flow through, but I don't want it to rush through and upset anything hanging out in the refugium (ie, corals, macroalgae, fish that got beat up in the display, etc). I figured that for nutrient export via macroalgae's consumption of nitrates/etc I'd want my water to flow through at a good tick to expose the nutrients to the plants. I'm designing my own refugium, and some of us from the DIY forum were discussing flow rates through the actual refugium area (which, yes scuba, will be a "compartment" in the sump). Just wanted to get the mainstream view on refugium flow rates. Again, thanks for your input, and more is welcome.
125 gallon saltwater: 55gal sump, 4 Blue-Green Chromis, Purple Tang, True Perc, Firefish, Royal Gramma, 5 Ricordea, Bubble Coral, 15 Pulsing Xenia, Green Star Polyps, Deresa clam, Green-Tip Torch Coral (about 11 "heads"!), Orange Montipora Cap, Purple M. Digitata, Green Slimer Acro. Yongei, 3 Orange M. Digitata, Pink&Green Acro. Millepora
dansemacabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2003, 01:44 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak
i agree with scuba, i wouldn't acclimate fish in my refuge. if you got a fish from a LFS and it has a disease than your whole system is shot.

if you are wanting to use you fuge as a propogation chamber macro algeas and zooplanktons than you want slow water flow

if you are interested in learning more get reef invertebrates by calfo and fenner. also check out their website www.wetwebmedia.com

ohio reefer is offline   Reply With Quote

flow, refugium, water flow

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com