What do you think about.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishman

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am setting up my second tank and its going to be a 100 gallon reef tank eventually. I used CC in my first tank which is LRWFO....It has done well. However I like the idea of sand. BUT I founf some very very fine CC at a LFS. its $40 for a 50 LB bag. The stuff I have in my tank now is considered a #5 grade....which is fairly good size. This stuff is a #1.....almost a powder sand. I like the idea of this since its so close to sand and its buffering ability as CC....any thoughts?

As long as its sand sized, it will work as sand. CC really doesn't do any buffering unless your PH is down around 6-7 or so, well below what it would be in any aquarium.

indy said:
As long as its sand sized, it will work as sand. CC really doesn't do any buffering unless your PH is down around 6-7 or so, well below what it would be in any aquarium.

The CaribSea CC would be the exception. It contains argonite and is a good pH buffer.

Think of it as an experiment. Try LS in this tank and then compare to the CC in your other one. A little variety never hurts. LS seems to be the trend right now.

Back
Top Bottom