Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-12-2004, 03:13 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

What do you think? no skimmer

Still having a hair algae "battle" even after going to r/o. R/o helped alot but I think that since I dont have a skimmer the fish's waste is keeping the algae going. I feed sparingly and such and do regular water changes with 5ppm water.

Anyway question si do you think a skimmer will fix the problem?

Old 06-12-2004, 03:17 PM   #2

Well skimmers capture organics before they become nitrates. Helps to cut down on nutrients for the algae. Why not just get a larger clean up crew? I saw those pics you have a lot of algae. I think more hermits, and snails will help you, you just need enough of them to actually consume it faster than it grows. I used nothing but RO water and am getting some now on my highest rocks. The system is fishless, but it dosen't bother me, yet at least. Going to get some blue legs sooner or later.
Old 06-12-2004, 06:30 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have quite a few snails and hemits.I'd thought about getting a lawnmower belleni but hadn;t got that far yet. as for you algae I'd get it gone now once it takes root man oh man
Old 06-12-2004, 08:45 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
What do you mean "regular water changes with 5ppm water" ?

How regular are they and what % is changed at any given time? What is your fish load and what size tank?

The skimmer will help. I would not say its going to be the cureall for your situation though.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2004, 09:12 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I think he means the TDS is 5ppm.

Click HERE to vote for Aquarium Advice!
Atari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2004, 01:33 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have a 55 no fuge no skimmer, 120 lbs of rock 2" of sand about 5 fish. sandsifting star etc.... I change about 5-10 once a week and dose then with iodine and micro vert
Old 06-13-2004, 01:40 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkameleon3
I have a 55 no fuge no skimmer, 120 lbs of rock 2" of sand about 5 fish. sandsifting star etc.... I change about 5-10 once a week and dose then with iodine and micro vert
I'm just getting started in SW so take this with a grain of salt as it is as much a question as an anwser, but isn't 2" a little thin on the sand for an all biological filtration system? If I understand correctly, if you are going to go that route you want about a 4" DSB. Would the additional substrate make any difference in harboring enough beneficial bacteria to help control the algae problem?

Don't forget to check AA Sponsors first.

www.macna2006.com
saberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2004, 01:44 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

An extra 2 or 3 inches would definitely help nutrient export.

Click HERE to vote for Aquarium Advice!
Atari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2004, 02:08 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

**** thats alot of rock in a 55...... Is there any water left in there
IMO 2" is fine for a 55. Have you tested your water for phosphates and silacates? These help algae grow. How many and what kind of snails do you have now. I had a hair algae problem in my 125 reef and I got about 10/15 turbos and they went to town. Why iodine.... do you have corals? If your looking for the coralline algae to grow I use Bi-ionic 2 part system Calcium and alkalinity. Great stuff
RO water 5ppm is good unless that 5ppm is bad stuff... Test your water.

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2004, 02:18 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaham358
...IMO 2" is fine for a 55.
If your goal is to go strictly biological, does the size of the tank matter in relation to the depth of the sand bed? I mean, just because it is a smaller tank, does not mean there should be less sand per gallon, right? 4" of sand in a 75 gal, is a lot more sand than 4" of sand in a 55 gal but relatively speaking, they should provide an equivilent amount of biological filtration per gallon. If I am missing something, please let me know, as I will be adding sand this week (75 gal with 3-4" DSB fish only.)

Or, do you just mean that 2" is enough given his large amount of rock?

Don't forget to check AA Sponsors first.

www.macna2006.com
saberry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
skimmer

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com