Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-18-2014, 11:03 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

What do you think of the Red Sea Max S-500 ??

Hi guys, I hope I can affort this on 2 years, what's your opinion on this setup? I can get one for 5,300$. It's 120g show tank, and 135g total system water volume.

Red Sea MAX S-500 complite plug & play coral reef aquarium system.

Old 02-18-2014, 11:59 AM   #2
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Overpriced. You could put that system together with better filtration for half the price without even trying. The issue is, after trying to help another user out who had one of these setups awhile back, is that it only has a bioball sump. If you want to do ANY kind of changes in filtration it is impossible because of the cramped space under the tank. Not worth the money.

Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 12:03 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank View Post
Overpriced. You could put that system together with better filtration for half the price without even trying. The issue is, after trying to help another user out who had one of these setups awhile back, is that it only has a bioball sump. If you want to do ANY kind of changes in filtration it is impossible because of the cramped space under the tank. Not worth the money.
There's a skimmer in the sump...

According to their website:
Old 02-18-2014, 12:04 PM   #4
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Still extremely overpriced, even with a cheap skimmer. Can still put it all together with what you want for half that price.
Old 02-18-2014, 12:22 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Okk... I think I'll see that in two years, when the time will be to buy it.

Anyway, technology's always in evolution.
Old 02-18-2014, 12:37 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Still extremely overpriced, even with a cheap skimmer. Can still put it all together with what you want for half that price.
So you think I can get 115g show tank with 20g sump for half that price ? What about the nice looking stand and all thoses things like the light fixture that is near water and "prevent" fish from jumping?
Old 02-18-2014, 12:50 PM   #7
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

I don't think, I know! There is a guy a couple hours away from me, as an example, that will make a ~120 tank out of acrylic for ~500.
As for a nice stand and canopy, simple DIY can get you whatever your heart desires. I'm far from a carpenter, but was able to build a nice table for my first sw tank without trying too hard out of scraps I had in the basement. Even the cheapest, most garbage wood can look nice after several coats of polyurethane. ~free depending what you have around you
A sump doesn't have to be another aquarium. Any container that can hold water and won't leach anything into the water will do. I'm planning a large build in the future and plan on using plastic water troughs that farm livestock drink out of. ~150
To prevent fish from jumping, some commercial egg crate will solve this issue. It was pretty cheap at Lowes...you'll find it in the commercial light section. You simply cut it to fit. Don't recall what it cost me after so many years...I'll find a picture or take another one of the top of my tank to show you.
Old 02-18-2014, 12:52 PM   #8
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1392742266.496120.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	217.2 KB
ID:	223366
Here is one side if it. Keep in mind, it would be covered by a canopy.
Old 02-18-2014, 12:58 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Attachment 223366
Here is one side if it. Keep in mind, it would be covered by a canopy.
Yeah, that's what I did on my 20g reef, but I didn't like all the square shadows in the tank, so I has cut a round hole in the middle.

I have a setup with the 60w nano R420R Leds, do the "square shadows" happen with bigger led fixture ? (I mean more wide led fixtures)

Old 02-18-2014, 01:00 PM   #10
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

I have 1 first gen and 1 second gen Ecotech Radions over my tank. I don't see any square shadows on my tank, not did I before the original Radion's power supply failed...hence the gen 2 over the system.
May I ask how cutting a hole in the crate is keeping your fish in the tank? I'd either have it or make it go away, since that defeats the purpose.

Tags
red, sea

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com