Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-19-2005, 12:16 PM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
schoeplein, I did not miss the fact it was a dwarf lion. I have owned them as well and they have huge mouths to gulp with. and they do not remain tiny nor shy, it still becomes a decent sized fish. I also did not miss the "alternative" options, they were listed after the "definites". It is the definites list that I think will cause issues down the road.

Old 07-19-2005, 12:18 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoeplein
I think everyone missed the point that it was a dwarf lion. Now no disrepect, but these things are tiny, shy individuals that perch on rocks and hide in corners. Also that it appears that wherever this person works has lots of tanks (ie. a fish store). These on-order fish could always be something the store is ordering and dumping into their tanks... *shrug*
No, I think you've missed the point. Dwarf or not, they do not stay tiny, unless you are referring to the fu manchu lion. The typical dwarf can get to 7 inches and I wouldn't call that tiny. And, if your lion is shy, perhaps there is other issues going on. All fish are different of course but my dwarf is not shy at all and never hides. And it has rock caves just for that purpose. The only time it goes in though is at night.

Rather the fish is on order for her, or the store, the advice she was given is pretty standard and sound. The only iffy advice so far was about the toiletbowl cleaner damsel.
Damsels have their place and are beautiful fish.

Old 07-19-2005, 12:38 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hehe. Damsels.... good for one thing: staying out of my tank. I thought it was pretty sound advice. (unless they're chromis, but these wouldn't make sense in a tank with anything predatory or marginally aggressive) We have over a dozen in the 210g and it looks cool with them all swimming around the Picasso like a small swarm (four stripe, yellow tail, blue devil and yellow).

Regardless, I still said I wouldn't put any other fish in the 35g other than the lion. I also said to keep the 35g with the lion and put everything else into the 110g.

...and what I meant by shy is that it does not school with the rest of the fish. It stays perched on the rock and "inhales" food that comes by (live guppies, krill, whatever). He's about 4" in length - seems small, but that probably has something to do with the size tank and tankmates. I guess "patient in appearance" would have been a better use of words.
Old 07-19-2005, 12:55 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to vTEC
hey thanks for posting again....
my dwarf is shy at the moment.. he's been in the tank for a week and a bit, and hes still getting used to having someone looking in the tank here and there. But he's eating now (ghost shrimp) so its a step forward from shyness. The dwarf I have is about 4 inches right now, so we'll see if he grows a bit more..

And I always have the fact that I work at a HUGE aquarium with tonnes of space for any tank mates that out grow my tanks.

Also, isnt the Picasso trigger, one of the mildly aggresive of the trigger family? we have one housed with a dwarf lion and they dont bother each other. I know the trigger cant be kept with crabs, and creatures like that... apparently those are their favourite food source
Old 07-19-2005, 01:44 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

It's more with age that the Picasso trigger can get the attitude but I only recommend lions to be housed with Niger, Pinktail, Blue Throat, Sargassum or Crosshatch, these Triggers are more predictable than the others.

My Fuzzy is not shy & hardly ever hangs out in the rocks But it does perch during the day. I have found when my Lions were younger they were more active but as they get older they are starting to perch more.

sent a pm.....
Kaye
Old 07-19-2005, 01:50 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

schoeplein - I think Hara, MT79, Fluff and fishfreak all gave perfect advice considering the vagueness of the initial post. I for one also thought the 'considering for bottom of tank' was the whole list...its certainly worded in a way that infers that.

And I don't think any of our advisors missed that it was a dwarf lion - its a simple fact that this is a relatively small tank and with a dwarf lion, you have room for little else. The information I found on the red dwarf lionfish indicates it'll hit 6"...too large for a 35gal.
Old 07-19-2005, 10:48 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to vTEC
I appologise for being a bit vague... I more than likely ruined this whole post and peoples likings towards me lol

I measured my lion today, and he's is officially 4 and a half inches ( i was guesstimating with his length a few posts up)

Anyways, to clarify my origial topic, I put that list down so people could let me know their opinions on each invert. small fish, etc... I know that some aren't compatible with the fish I plan to have in there. Those were just options that I had considered, and had no intentions of placing all those together.

So I hope this makes sense.. and I'll appologise again for the vagueness..

Cheers
- Lauren -
Old 07-19-2005, 11:05 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by vTEC
I more than likely ruined this whole post and peoples likings towards me
This is absolutely not true. We are here to help and truely want to see you succeed.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com