what do you think of this fixture?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've got the longer version on my 125. I wish I had gone with the 250w instead of the 150w MH. But, my clam (crocea) is on the sand and is still growing.

I don't know that actininc lighting is totally necessary if its just a frag tank than it probably wouldn't matter. I just think it looks cool. Plus having independant timers is nice so you can start with half light and then an hour or so later go full intensity so its not such a blast of light for the corals. Does that fixture have a power cord for each bulb??

Yeah 20k is pretty blue. I think actinics are just for looks though. How many watts are the bulbs for that fixture?

I just realized that fixture came with the 20k bulbs. I believe the 20K bulbs have a much lower PAR rating than the 10k bulbs do. Not sure how much of a concern that might be, but it might be for clams on the bottom. Maybe time to buy a meter too and test a few different bulbs. For a frag tank I would think that 6,700k or 10,000k would be the way to go for growth.

I just realized that fixture came with the 20k bulbs. I believe the 20K bulbs have a much lower PAR rating than the 10k bulbs do. Not sure how much of a concern that might be, but it might be for clams on the bottom. Maybe time to buy a meter too and test a few different bulbs. For a frag tank I would think that 6,700k or 10,000k would be the way to go for growth.

You'd lose all the color in your frags with 6700K bulbs.

If you want to maximize growth then color, then grow with 6700K bulbs then color them up with a nice 20K bulb.

Otherwise, I'd stick to a 14K bulb for a mix of growth & color. The Phoenix bulbs are a nice choice IMO.

67k would be nice if you use some actinics with it. I personally like the looks of 14k.

so you gonna sell me some frags in the future ;)

Can't you just keep half of the 20k bulbs and then replace the other half with the 6700k or 10,000k?? Then when you need to change your bulbs you can use the 20k bulbs that you took out and just replace the 10k bulbs. I think the combination of the 20k and the 10k/6700k would look nice. Actually I think it would then be your typical 50/50

It's a 2 bulb MH fixture. For a frag tank I would think you want to mazimize growth, and 6700k does that. To color up before selling you want to get them under 14k or the 20k bulbs. As stated a 14k bulb should give you a good combination of growth and color. If comes with 20k bulbs so use them for 6 months and then decide if you want to switch out to 14k or lower.

If you use a 67k or 10k bulb with one or two actinics will it be about the same as a 14k bulb?

Back
Top Bottom