what does 125 lbs of LR look like?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zenn

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My plan is to have 125lbs of LR in my main tank when all is said and done. I know this approaches the 2 lbs/gallon that many like to have in their set ups. But what i'm trying to figure out is how well will this amout of LR fill up my 75 g tank?

This is more a question out of pure impatience than anything. Just wondering what that amount of rock will look like in there. Thanks.

PS. One other thing, should i do that thing with the egg crate/plastic under the rock so that it doesn't sink into the sand much, or is that really not worth my time.

Thanks

my 2 cents

if your susbstrate is less than 1" then just pile in your rock on the bottom of the tank and fill up with substrate.

if your substrate is 3" or more than you should prop up your base rock because if your gravel is course say 1.5mm and larger like crushed coral than you'll need to vaccumm, and disturbing your gravel could cause your rock to fall, also deep fine grain substrate will be stirred by the critters in your tank and could cause your rock to fall, also if you fine grian sand is aragonite-it slowly dissolves and your rock can fall(noted on wet web media.com that aragonite can dissolve as fast as 50% in two years)

I used 3\4"pvc and eggcrate to prop my rock but hated it and ended up taking it out and using 1.5-2"pvc pipe drilled with large holes and standing upright to stack my rock on. I think it looks better not having that ugly ledge showing and I lost one hermit crab because he got stuck in the eggcrate.

Nobody wants a broken fishtank, capish? --- hey I just found me a signature

I have 140#s from liverocks.com in my 75 gal and it seems pretty crowded to me. I think that 125#s would be a little more manageable.

I was told also to put the rock directly on the tank bottom and then put the sand or gravel in after. It seems pretty stable that way to me. I can't even imagine what 125 lbs of rock looks like but I'll bet it's going to be expensive!

I got my base rock from reeferrock.com. Cap'n Jar who runs the place will set up the amount of rock you want in a configuration that represents your tank.

I would call him up and tell him you're thinking of getting 125# of base or LR and would like to see how it would look in a 75 gal. tank.

He'll probably be happy to set up the rock, and email a pic. He did it for me and it really helped with my set up.

Mike

IMO you need to have the LR on the bottom of the tank for a good foundation. so if you have sand in the tank already just move it around when the LR comes so there is good contact between LR and the tank bottom.
What it will look like all depends on the density of the LR, if its very dense then it may not take up as much room as less dense rock...
No matter how you cut it thats going to be a lot of LR 8O
Post a pic when you get it set up...

Here is a picture of my tank...

In the display area is @130# of liverock from LR.com

Of course i have 2 large pieces on each side, and the selection you get may be compairable.

HTH

Back
Top Bottom