Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 01-09-2007, 05:22 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist
Is it worth dosing this early? I've read mixed opinions on dosing in general. I have that reef starter kit from Kent (liquid CA, Iodine and Strontium/Molybdenum) but don't know if I should start using it or not. I just threw in some more LR so it's going through the cycle again.

DurTBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 05:33 PM   #12
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Personally, I don't dose. I believe regular PWCs will replenish all of the depleted trace elements. One point of advice, don't dose if you don't have the proper test kit, you could end up OD'ing your tank.

Age is relative, you are only as old as you act....of course, this works in reverse....

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Acronym List

roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 05:36 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak
My rocks were covered in diatoms... (there's still more forming but not as bad) and now a ton of them are covered in a bright green algae... my glass is also now green instead of brown. There's also bright pink spots showing up on some rocks... I'm praying it's coraline
GuOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 06:09 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak
My coraline began as a white coating that looked like white enamel paint. I had it on the rocks and many spots have developed on the glass an equiptment. It eventually turns pink and then purple.

I received LR from 2 different sources (internet) and a third shipment was purchased from my LFS's reef tank. It would seem that I would have more than one type of coraline algae in the tank.

Am I the only one who has coraline that starts out white?
46 gal FOWLR
11lb Live Rock - 40lb Live Sand
ProClear Pro 75 - LR rubble & skimmer in sump
AC 300 HOB
AC 402 Powerhead - AC 301 Powerhead
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 06:47 PM   #15
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award
Alot of times when you get LR some of the original will bleach white but as it sits in your tank it will turn back to pink and purple as your calcium goes up. I keep mine up and plenty of coralline just from weekly PWC`s with Oceanic salt mix. It stays between 400-420.
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 03:54 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Regular
i have a lot forming in my 2 month old tank. it started as pink dots on the glass, then it has spread out and the centers are getting darker. also, all of my base rock is now covered in pink/purple spots. i dose with calcium once a week between pwc's. i use only two capfulls at a time, but it seems to be doing some good. also, i only buy lr that comes from mature tanks that get broken down buy lfs customers when they move or whatever has motivated them to break down their tanks. i think this has helped tremendously, as i had almost no cycle during my initial setup. within 2 months i have loaded my tank with sps, polyps, mushrooms, royal gramma, marine beta, yellow wrasse, and citron goby, without a single loss. KNOCK ON WOOD!! i have NEVER seen a spike in ammonia or nitrate/nitrite(s). it would appear that mature lr is the way too go, at least it worked for me.

mazilla is offline   Reply With Quote

coral, coraline

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com