What does coraline look like in the beginning?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SCFatz

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Some of my rock has taken on a light green look.

My seed rocks are mostly green with some purple...I'd guess around 75% green with the rest purple.

Does it come in faint,or is it small spots of deep color?

Thanks as always,

I believe you should get green, then purple. On my glass, the green is very bright.

My rocks were the same lime green that you are getting now. Now my rocks are going purple after about 7 months. The purple will come in spots really faint at first then they will darken up and then start spreading.

Yep but it depends on the corralline you get. It comes in different colors. My rocks have pink, light and dark purples, and and green too. Looks pretty cool. I like the variety of colored sponges too (yellow black, pink, and white).

Coralline looks like little spider webs on the glass....then it forms into full purple spots.

It does the same on rocks, but you cant see it.......

It grows really well UNDER algae....IE hair algae covered the back glass of my tank, the snail ate it off and the glass was covered with coralline under it.

Does it look like little white spider webs when starting on glass? I have some little white spider web-looking things on my glass.

DurTBear, you may want to get a pic and post it in the ID section. I can't remember the name, but I don't think that is what you have. You tank is still relatively new, right?

You really won't get much coraline growth (on the glass), unless you are dosing in newer tanks, this early in the game. Let me see if I can find a pic...

Is it worth dosing this early? I've read mixed opinions on dosing in general. I have that reef starter kit from Kent (liquid CA, Iodine and Strontium/Molybdenum) but don't know if I should start using it or not. I just threw in some more LR so it's going through the cycle again.

Personally, I don't dose. I believe regular PWCs will replenish all of the depleted trace elements. One point of advice, don't dose if you don't have the proper test kit, you could end up OD'ing your tank.

My rocks were covered in diatoms... (there's still more forming but not as bad) and now a ton of them are covered in a bright green algae... my glass is also now green instead of brown. There's also bright pink spots showing up on some rocks... I'm praying it's coraline

My coraline began as a white coating that looked like white enamel paint. I had it on the rocks and many spots have developed on the glass an equiptment. It eventually turns pink and then purple.

I received LR from 2 different sources (internet) and a third shipment was purchased from my LFS's reef tank. It would seem that I would have more than one type of coraline algae in the tank.

Am I the only one who has coraline that starts out white?

Alot of times when you get LR some of the original will bleach white but as it sits in your tank it will turn back to pink and purple as your calcium goes up. I keep mine up and plenty of coralline just from weekly PWC`s with Oceanic salt mix. It stays between 400-420.

i have a lot forming in my 2 month old tank. it started as pink dots on the glass, then it has spread out and the centers are getting darker. also, all of my base rock is now covered in pink/purple spots. i dose with calcium once a week between pwc's. i use only two capfulls at a time, but it seems to be doing some good. also, i only buy lr that comes from mature tanks that get broken down buy lfs customers when they move or whatever has motivated them to break down their tanks. i think this has helped tremendously, as i had almost no cycle during my initial setup. within 2 months i have loaded my tank with sps, polyps, mushrooms, royal gramma, marine beta, yellow wrasse, and citron goby, without a single loss. KNOCK ON WOOD!! i have NEVER seen a spike in ammonia or nitrate/nitrite(s). it would appear that mature lr is the way too go, at least it worked for me.

Back
Top Bottom