What eats Asternia Starfish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mikenhecker1

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just found out that the mini stars eat coralline algae. Hoping I don't have to pick them all out one by one. Any advice would be helpful d:)

I wouldn't worry about them eating coralline algae. They will never eat enough to clean your tank of it.

Well there are probably about 50 in there somewhere lol so I'm thinking one or two I can live with, but I have noticed a decline in the coralline. Started about the same time as when I noticed more Asternia's. Could that be the reason or am I lookin in the wrong places. My trates are rediculess right now but I started 10% water changes once a week, should be better soon.

A 10% water change wont touch your nitratess. If they are really high you need to go bigger with your water changes. The coralline could just be going through a phase. It tends to die off sometimes for no apparent reason and then grow back all over again. If you're really worried about it then you could just do a manual removal.

Ok we'll I guess I will wait and see. Thanks guys I appreciate the help. I will get the hang of it one day lol

When you're doing a water change think of the amount of nitrates you want removed. If you want to do a 10% water change on a tank with 50ppm nitrates then you will only drop it down to 45ppm. If you do a 50% change then it will drop to 25ppm.

Ok I see. I thought I would do it over time but faster is better I guess. It's a 25g so it won't be too bad. Thanks that helped a lot. I have premium LR coming in a day or two so it will be nice to have the nitrates under control by then.

I was just reading about a nardoa starfish that's main diet consists of asterina stars, not sure how easy they are to come by though - someone on here was looking for an ID on one and that's why I found them...

I have a orange seastar and it eats them. Not fast enough to get rid of them though.

It's ok, I have hope lol. I might have to look more into a starfish to solve my starfish problem. Maybe my Lfs can help. I doubt it though, I think that might be where I acquired the mini stars in the first place.

Harlequin shrimp devour them. I had hundreds in my tank and it was bugging me so I bought a harliquin shrimp figuring it would take it months to eat them all. Nope, took a week. Now I have to buy star fish from teh lfs or it'll starve...lol What a stupid decision I made. It's pretty cool looking though.

There is a particular shrimp that will eat starfish and that is their primary diet just not sure if it will eat the Asternia Starfish now if I could only remember the name of it.

Yeah those are awesome. But starfish are hard to come by for me. And no place to buy them that's reliable. So the harlequin is probably out for me. My new tank I'm working on might be easier to remove them. I am going to pour my own liverock rockscape instead of buying LR. Way cheaper.

Back
Top Bottom